V-Twin - J&P Cycle clutch - Any Difference

Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

V-Twin - J&P Cycle clutch - Any Difference

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I need a complete clutch for my bike. Do either of these suppliers have better quality Taiwan parts?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

First off Michael Tanner there’s a difference. Ones a distributor and the other is a manufacture. V Twin (Ted) as bad as it is some times is a manufacturer. He’s the guy who takes all the risk and lays out the bread for a part run (Win or loose). Then ya got the retailers. They make 60% and up peddling Ted’s junk. There are very few USA manufactures. And the ones that are get top dollar. They produce a great product (Had to get that one in there Cotton before ya stick it to me). All kidding aside. There is a handful of American manufacture producing everything from handlebars to carb floats to tranny gears. These Michael are the people that you should spend your money with first. Bob
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

unless you must have a taiwan clutch, try barnett (US). most of those parts from taiwan come from the same place regardless of who is selling them. i had to buy a tool box and some spotlights from there and if they fail, too bad but a clutch? get a good one. j
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I run a BDL on my 8mm belt drive. Works great!

CC-100-S http://www.beltdrives.com/cclutch.htm
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

There are a lot of good Euro and Oz manufacturers as well as in the US. Some offerings from India are getting better, surpassing one-size-fitz-none chrome chopper fodder from the East.

Tedd's often offers a range of quality for the same part, oriental, Euro, and domestic. They can be convenient, if you do your homework.
Tedd's does not retail, so choose a vendor who will provide friendly return service, etc., such as a local independent dealer.

Quite frankly, I prefer their four-plate "police" clutches over Barnett's, anyday.

.....Cotten

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”