clutch hub troubles

pomps_pans
Bikes: 1958 FL
1963 FLH
1975 FXE
1947 FL

clutch hub troubles

Post by pomps_pans »

I rebuilt the trans on my '47 knuckle today and as I went to check the clutch hub fit, I noticed a hairline crack on the aft side of the keyway as you are looking at the hub with the studs facing you. Well, that sucked, but I wasn't worried, because I had 3 other hubs in my stash. That's when I noticed that 2 of them were cracked in the exact same spot. One of them was not cracked. This led me to another observation: the 3 hubs that I have that are cracked have a "boss" which the clutch hub nut would seat against. The one that wasn't cracked does not have that boss and is flat in the recess where the clutch hub nut goes. Is this a common problem? I've looked in the palmer book (latest edition) for mention of the different types of clutch hubs, but I didn't see anything in there.
pomps_pans
Bikes: 1958 FL
1963 FLH
1975 FXE
1947 FL

Re: clutch hub troubles

Post by pomps_pans »

pomps_pans wrote:I rebuilt the trans on my '47 knuckle today and as I went to check the clutch hub fit, I noticed a hairline crack on the aft side of the keyway as you are looking at the hub with the studs facing you. Well, that sucked, but I wasn't worried, because I had 3 other hubs in my stash. That's when I noticed that 2 of them were cracked in the exact same spot. One of them was not cracked. This led me to another observation: the 3 hubs that I have that are cracked have a "boss" which the clutch hub nut would seat against. The one that wasn't cracked does not have that boss and is flat in the recess where the clutch hub nut goes. Is this a common problem? I've looked in the palmer book (latest edition) for mention of the different types of clutch hubs, but I didn't see anything in there.

IMG_20150313_193848057.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tattoo
Bikes: Yes

Re: clutch hub troubles

Post by Tattoo »

I believe that's what happens when the nut is tightened way to tight... Never use a impact to install the hub nut...... But I have seen many do just that.......

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”