York diaphram clutch

oleblu72
Bikes: 63FLH, 98 Buell white lightening,73 Sportster,
Norton,Triumph,Royal Enfield
BSA

York diaphram clutch

Post by oleblu72 »

I'm looking at buying a York diaphram Kevlar clutch kit and one thing I would like to know is does the hub supplied in the kit replace the old 3 finger hub I have now? And this question might sound stupid but is the foot clutch conversion thats clamped to the downtube called the Mousetrap? I was reading in the archives that if you run a diaphram clutch you have to get a Mousetrap eliminator is this correct? Thanks.

Mark
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: York diaphram clutch

Post by jdpan »

If this is what you're referring to, then the kit comes with it's own hub that replaces the original 3 stud hub. I don't see why you couldn't run a mousetrap with this settup... http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php ... ail&p=2209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The problem with using a mousetrap is that the diaphragm spring cannot return the mousetrap to its engaged position and there is not enough adjustment to soften the overcenter spring enough to allow it to do so. So eliminator kit it is!
Robbie
oleblu72
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

Yep thats the clutch JD. Thanks Robbie I guess I'm gonna have to buy the illiminator or stay with the old 3 finger.

Mark
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Why are you wanting to move away from stock? Are you having issues?? A properly tuned stock clutch can work very well...
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

I always thought those "York" set ups looked suspiciously like the Primo Rivera units.

Regards,
Geo.
oleblu72
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

jdpan wrote:Why are you wanting to move away from stock? Are you having issues?? A properly tuned stock clutch can work very well...

Well its like this JD I just bought the bike and the only parts of the clutch thats on the bike is the clutch basket and the hub nothing else, so I've heard some positive things about the diaphram clutch so I thought if I have to buy a clutch it might as well be a diaphram.

O.W. that would be good if it was a Primo the only thing I do know is thats its suppose to be made in the U.S.A. The bike has a 1-1/2" belt drive on it and it has a Primo belt but I don't know if the rest of it is a Primo.

I've seen prices for the mousetrap eliminator anywhere from $50 to alittle over $100 so how many people are making this eliminator? I've seen the Custom Chrome name and Howards and the rest they just weren't saying who made them. I seem to remember reading that there was only two companies making them.

Mark
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z »

jdpan wrote:Why are you wanting to move away from stock? Are you having issues?? A properly tuned stock clutch can work very well...
I absolutely agree. I have always seen these diaphram clutch setups as an expensive fix to a very simple problem. There is a reason HD stuck with the basically same design for more than 4 decades. There are very good original 4-speed type clutch parts out there nowadays, along with the long roller bearings, etc. Properly set up, there is no reason your original clutch can't work more then reasonably well to your satisfaction. :)
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i'll go plus three on the stock clutch.

cheap, plentiful and mostly trouble free if set up properly.

oddly enough the stock HD clutch looks very similar to the steering clutches in my john deere bulldozer, and very similar in size too!

john
oleblu72
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

Well your opinions will give me something to think about as I'm gathering parts for the bike, thanks.

Mark
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

I run a york diaphram with an enclosed belt drive,and a mousetrap..the yorks sealed bearing doesent need the lube that the 3 or 5 finger clutch hub needs ,,so u can turn off the oiler .....works great !
oleblu72
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

blewcrab wrote:I run a york diaphram with an enclosed belt drive,and a mousetrap..the yorks sealed bearing doesent need the lube that the 3 or 5 finger clutch hub needs ,,so u can turn off the oiler .....works great !

That was another reason I wanted to run the York diaphram clutch get rid of some of the oil slick, my neighbor is running a diaphram on his pan but I don't know if he still runs the mousetrap. So how did you get your clutch to work right while using the mousetrap Blewcrab? I plan on running a open primary, at least thats my way of thinking right now.

Mark
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

you run the oiler with your belt??
oleblu72
BSA

Post by oleblu72 »

hplhd wrote:you run the oiler with your belt??

I just bought the bike at the end of August hplhd and I'm trying to get it back on the road but there's oil on the belt, I'm not sure where all the oils coming from probably the trans. I have to take the inner primary cover off to see. I want to run an open primary so the sealed bearing in the Yorks hub would work well for this.

I see there's a couple people on u-tube that cut a groove in the trans. bearing output spacer and installed an o-ring on the side that I guess works ,another guy machined a whole new spacer out of thicker stock but he hasn't put the bike back together yet to see if it works.

Mark
Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt »

Check out this thread and what I went through:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1949&hilit=york

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”