Removing Transmission Main Drive Gear Oil Seal

1964FLDUO
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 FL Duo Glide

Removing Transmission Main Drive Gear Oil Seal

Post by 1964FLDUO »

Is there anyway to remove and replace the Main Drive Gear Oil Seal other than using the Main Drive Gear Oil Seal Tool #95660-42? Or do I need to find someone who has one? If they are not too outrageous I suppose I could justify buying one and adding it to the collection of specialty tools I use once or twice in a decade.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Removing Transmission Main Drive Gear Oil Seal

Post by Panacea »

Just run a screw or two into the seal, then you can pry it out, don't lose the spacer key...
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Pierce the rubber next to metal ring with a small screw driver.
Then drive a medium screw driver under the metal ring and pry the seal out.
Jerry
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Just dont pry the screwdriver on the outside of the seal like everybody else did and hack up the case.I always hammered a screwdriver right thru the metal part of the seal and got a small piece of wood to go between the screwdriver and the case and pryed it out.Or you could screw a dent puller into the metal part of the seal and it will pop right out.
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

Hog54 wrote:Just dont pry the screwdriver on the outside of the seal like everybody else did and hack up the case.I always hammered a screwdriver right thru the metal part of the seal and got a small piece of wood to go between the screwdriver and the case and pryed it out.Or you could screw a dent puller into the metal part of the seal and it will pop right out.
Thanks for the tips, but how will I put a new seal in without the tool? I see what you mean by prying on the outside Hog54, someone has already done it a couple times on my transmission. I made sure to keep the little L shaped spacer, panacea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Just punch a hole in the thing and screw in a dent puller and wack away. Job done!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

someone has already done it a couple times on my transmission.
No, they didn't. those are the remains of the factory stake points used to retain it and likely one previous replacement. Those are NOT pry marks. A dent puller/slide hammer is cheap and easy and also will do other jobs including what it is intended for!
Robbie
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

You'll need to make some kind of a driver to get the seal in place. You just need something you can tap on that will slip over main shaft (assuming you have the mainshaft in the case when you install the seal) and allow you to drive it squarely into the case. The seal needs to be recessessed 0.010" below the edge of the case. If it's exactly flush, the rubber lip can catch on the notch in the spacer where the "L" shaped piece goes.

-Craig
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

RUBONE wrote:
No, they didn't. those are the remains of the factory stake points used to retain it and likely one previous replacement. Those are NOT pry marks. A dent puller/slide hammer is cheap and easy and also will do other jobs including what it is intended for!
Robbie
Well I dont have them stake points on mine and I never seen them on any other transmission that wasnt hacked by lousey mechanics.I cant imagine why they would stake them in cause I have never seen one fall out?I just tap my seal in all the way around lightly with my brass hammer and never had a leak.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Here is the page from the '48-'57 service manual that talks about staking...
Untitled-124.jpg
Here is my 1946 4-speed case. It's been staked in 3 different places.
DCP_1930.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

RUBONE wrote:
Robbie
That's good to know, should I be staking the new one?. What's a good source for a replacement seal?
Last edited by 1964FLDUO on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Well I dont know why thier not all staked because thier not including mine.
caschnd1

Post by caschnd1 »

Modern seals don't need to be staked. All the ones I've installed have fit so tight there is no worry about them going anywhere. Notice it says to stake the case into the notches in the seal. The seals we buy today don't have notches. I think if you were to stake a seal without a notch you might end up deforming it and causing a leak. Not sure when the seals stopped coming with notches for staking.

-Craig
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

So just press it in, no loctite or anything, correct?
Hog54
Inactive member
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

caschnd1 wrote:Modern seals don't need to be staked. All the ones I've installed have fit so tight there is no worry about them going anywhere. Notice it says to stake the case into the notches in the seal. The seals we buy today don't have notches. I think if you were to stake a seal without a notch you might end up deforming it and causing a leak. Not sure when the seals stopped coming with notches for staking.

-Craig

Im just saying that thier must of been only some trannys they staked because none of the ones I ever worked on were.And theres ones on ebay now that were never staked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/harley-knuckleh ... 4389178294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”