Spiral lock retainers

1964FLDUO
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 FL Duo Glide

Spiral lock retainers

Post by 1964FLDUO »

As I was taking apart my transmission today, I had to deal with removing some spiral lock retainers which reminded me what a pain they are. I am thinking of trashing them and going with snap rings instead. Has anyone tried this, any problems?

Also on the low gear side of the countershaft, I found someone put in two retainer washers instead of one retainer washer and and lock ring. Is there any reasoning behind this? On the clutch side there was the correct one retainer washer and one lock ring.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Spiral lock retainers

Post by RUBONE »

I personally would not change the spiral lock. I have built dozens of transmissions and never seen one fail. Plus I don't find them to be a pain at all! A simple tool made out of a small diameter rod (actually an old spoke works best) to get them started and out they come! And the countershaft should only have one lock ring and spacer on each end!
Robbie
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

Thanks, Robbie. On a side note, I am getting started on pulling the main shaft and the four flathead screws on the retainer plate have me stuck. I used a torch and heated them and was able to get two of them out to find red loctite on the threads, but the other two are stuck. I put PB Blaster on them and will leave it overnight. If all else fails I will get some beeswax. Heating them with the torch carefully so I don't get anything too hot, what temp range would be too hot?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

If they have red loctite on them they will release after more heat. Don't be shy, you can apply a fair bit on them. The PB blaster will do absolutely nothing to the loctite. And those screws never need loctite. I have never seen one come loose. If you are just now taking them out I see why you had trouble with the snap ring! The way to do it is to remove the bearing retainer plate, warm the case up until the bearing and retainer fall out along with the shaft assembly. when the third gear contacts the case boss inside you will have three times the room to work on the snap ring!
Robbie
1964FLDUO
Inactive member

Post by 1964FLDUO »

Thanks for the tips, I got the other screws out, not too sure why someone put red loctite on them. Found a lot of that as I go through stuff, the guy who did it must have had stock in loctite. Unfortunately I didn't see your tip for removing the bearing and housing with heat, so I used a mallet as prescribed in the manual. Probably took a bit longer and was a bit harder than your method, but I got her done nonetheless
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

A pick with a 90 degree bend on the business end works very well to release the spiral lock on the main shaft. Try a hand held impact driver with the proper bit on the bearing retainer screws. Heat will loosen Loctite's grip....bosheff

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”