transmission shifter shaft set screw removal

kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

transmission shifter shaft set screw removal

Post by kehughes »

I started disassembling a transmission I have and all has gone well until time to remove the set screw for shifter shaft. It would not come out. I let it soak in parts cleaner and kroil for about 2 day each. used heat with impact driver and still would not budge. ended up screwing up the slot on the screw. so I decided I would drill it and use an ease out. well the screw was so hard, the bit wouldn't penetrate it. Now I have a boogered up set screw stuck in the hole. Is it time to call a machine shop? And how will they do it? Do you think the hole threads be ruined? Any other ideas?
Last edited by kehughes on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: transmission shifter shaft set screw removal

Post by Cotten »

KEH!

Without seeing it,..
and without an EDM shop handy,...
I would grab my jeweler's torch tip and try to build up the screw and weld something to it.

Often just the heat of actually getting it cherry red will loosen it.
Saying just the right words while quenching it with a spray of WD-40 works sometimes too.

Try to determine if the shaft is pinching it.

....Cotten
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Most steel drill bits won't work on a case hardened screw, you need a Carbide Bit, then Heat & lots of it when you use the easy out. If that doesn't work you'll have to carefully drill the entire screw out & re-tap the threads once the shaft is out. Those screws can be a real pain, which is probably why they changed to the C-clip on the Cow-Pie boxes. Best of luck.
kehughes

Post by kehughes »

My bit was a carbide bit.

Cotten- I have access to a jewelers torch, but what type of material should be used to build the screw up and weld to it?

Thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

keh!

First let me clarify that I use a tip one step bigger than the smallest "jeweler's" tip on my torch, but I figured I might confuse folks with "Henrob".
A small tip on a conventional torch should do if your hand and eye are steady.

A hot but concentrated flame is the whole point;
The most friendly filler rod is always a matter of trial and error.
I start out mild and work my way to stainless if I must.

If you have relieved it far below the surface by drilling it will be far, far more difficult, probably impossible, as the casting will carry away the heat too fast, and be damaged before anything sticks.

Have you tried to coax the shaft back and forth at all?

How did the shaft in the lid go?

...Cotten
kehughes

Post by kehughes »

The lid set screw was easily removed. The shaft was also not to bad using an old valve like the manual suggests.

This shifter set screw has whipped me. Yes, it is below the surface so your original suggestion may not be an option. No, I have not tried moving the shifter shaft.
Starting to think Im going to have to get a machine shop to drill it, weld and retap. Very frustrating.
I noticed you mentioned EDM earlier. Nearest shop doing this is about 1 1/2 hour away. Would that be the way to go? hate to drive it, but Im getting desperate.
Thank you for you help.

PS -- I also emailed you through your Liberty email about a carb.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Sorry for your troubles. Note that the set screw is not really a set screw as it should NEVER be tightened against anything! It has a long extension that fits alongside a slot in the shifter fork rod and merely needs to be in place to function. It should only be set into position and screwed in below the gasket surface, BUT NOT TIGHT. When it is in place everything is captive, the screw cannot come out, the shaft cannot drift out of position. Regretfully the last person to mess with your tranny either screwed irt down tight, or the shaft has been rotated and is binding it. Your might try tapping the shifter shaft in or out slightly to see if it frees up!
Robbie
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I also think trying to move the shaft a bit may help. Another thing I have done is set a nut on top of the hole for the screw and Tig or Mig weld it to the buggered up screw head. The heat may help loosen it and you can turn it out with a wrench.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”