generator problems

dchfle54
Bikes: 1954 FLE

generator problems

Post by dchfle54 »

My 54' FLE is giving me problems with either my generator or the new ( just installed electronic cut-off from J&P) . I have the stock 6 volt system,a model 32 generator. The generator is wired as per the Panhead manual page #203.I was told by cycle works to polarize the generator by putting a jumper wire from my positive post on the battery to the "A" terminal of my generator,only to flash it.My generator was working before i installed this cut off relay,my old one was bad. With the engine off & the ignition swicth in the first position (no lights) i have 5.8 volts from term." A" on generator to ground, & 0.0 on the "F" term.on generator to ground. With the ignhition on the 2nd position ( lights on) i have 5.8 on "A" & "F" term. on generator. With the gen.light signal wire on regulator removed and engine running ignition in 1st position i have 5.9 volts from "B" term. on cut-off relay to grnd, then with touching signal wire to grnd i have same voltage. When i turn my ignition to the 2nd position same results. Where am i going wrong?

Return to “Generator”