edmondpanhead
Inactive member
Bikes: ironhead
panhead
sr400

bike creeps when i put it on 1st gear

Post by edmondpanhead »

hi guys i need help on my recently bought 49 pan

the bike creeps when i put it on 1st gear and having the clutch disengaged it has a dry clutch open primary and i think burnett clutch which makes a noise
i really need help i need to take out the "creeping problem " desperate..
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: bike creeps when i put it on 1st gear

Post by RUBONE »

Is the primary a chain or a belt? If either is adjusted too tightly, or if it is a belt and the alignment is not correct it can cause the clutch drum to run slightly shifted off center and create the drag problem you have.
It can also be caused by lack of lubrication in the clutch hub bearings, an uneven pressure plate, or simply adjustment. What have you checked or not checked so far?
Robbie
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I had to soak my new plates in oil twice, to get them to not releasing when engaging the clutch. The noise doesn't hurt anything, but it drove me nuts! Creep is usually caused by mis adjustment of the clutch rod, in my experience.
Mike
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Edmond:

Robbie has nailed it.

Got a picture? I have a Barnett Scorpion clutch. There is absolutely no doubt that it is NOT a stock clutch (bright, shiny, orangle, billet metal).

By the way, if it is a Barnett, they are very specific in their instructions NOT to soak the clutch plates.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I don't know what Barnett markets these days, but at one time Barnett marketed clutches that were designed to be run either wet, dry, or both. I believe alot of that changed when asbestos was deleted from the manufacturing process some year back. I run a set of wet/dry Barnetts and couldn't be happier with their service and ease of maintenance. When you engage the clutch, they hook up right now....bosheff
edmondpanhead
Inactive member
panhead
sr400

Post by edmondpanhead »

thanks guys i went to a local mechanic and he adjusted the clutch its now better but he said that i should try to replace ALL the primary parts.
and said that the basket and all the plates are on their last hoorah.. what brand should i look for? im ot even sure if these are barnett i asked him and he said he could not figure out the brand of the clutch discs..

btw this is belt driven.

should i go back to a wet setup? im like already buying a whole set that i should go back to stock or i just get the barnett scorpion kit and replace the whole dry system with a new dry system? thanks guys really appreciate this
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

Edmond, this is only my opinion of course....Get the Scorpion its expensive ...but its money well spent. I ran one on my Frankenstein, a rigid frame shovel and it felt like a whole different bike. I honestly have to say dollar for dollar it was the best most single improvement I have ever made to any bike. However your clutch basket needs to be in good shape. ie. the dogs need to be tight (No Loose Ribbets!!). BDL (I think they call it the Competitor) makes a clutch similar to the Scorpion and about $200 less in price. I've heard good reports on the BDL setup so I'm gonna try one on my UL, but as of yet have not finished her, so I can only speak on the Scorpion. Good Luck

Aloha...Mike
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

What I like about this site is the years of experience that are on tap for the novice owner/rider. Back in my day we learned by
trial & error, or if we were lucky, an old timer would show us the way. Ain't this typewriter with a TV great ?

Rick
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I checked. I actually put the Rivera Primo plates in this bike. So many bikes, so little memory left. Hey, have you heard that new group? I think they are called the Beatles?
Mike
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Edmond,

One cool thing about the Scorpion is that it uses this monster sealed bearing that you put into the clutch basked instead of the stock roller bearings. Much more resilient and closer tolerances!
edmondpanhead
Inactive member
panhead
sr400

Post by edmondpanhead »

hi guys ok i think im sold with the scorpion setup.

but whats a good clutch basket and pulley? i think i need those changed too

thank you so much this has been really really reaaly helpful

best
ed
edmondpanhead
Inactive member
panhead
sr400

Post by edmondpanhead »

guys i need help i need suggestions i wanna run the bike in a week or two. pls
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

Edmond, if you are gonna change everything, I suggest you get it all from the same manufacturer. I got the complete BDL kit online from ??? Justified Defiance (E-Bay) There are numerous regular ebay vendors all selling this equipment at very competitive prices, I think it was for about $600-$700 That included the complete belt drive set up and the BDL clutch pack. Don't confuse Barnett Clutch Plates with the Barnett Scorpion clutch pack. Both are quality parts, but the plates are just basically a replacement for factory parts. The Scorpion (and others) clutch pack is a completely re-designed clutch set up, that works way way better than what the factory did. Barnett, BDL, Rivera and others all make their own versions of these newly designed clutch systems. In my opinion all of those 3 manufactures I just listed make quality equipment. I would feel safe buying from any of them. I don't know if Barnett is making belt drive kits or not. Their Scorpion clutch pack should work in any aftermarket clutch basket but you should check with the manufacturer(s) first to be sure. Again if it was me I would buy everything from the same manufacturer...IMHO

Goodluck....Mike
edmondpanhead
Inactive member
panhead
sr400

Post by edmondpanhead »

thanks mike!

i was searching around could not find any. or you think i should go back to the OEM style wet clutch setup would i shell out the same price 600 to 700 ?

can you enlighten me on this buddy? like you got a link?
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

49's didn't use a wet set-up, or did I miss sumthin?....bosheff

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”