adjusting 3-brush 32E generator

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

adjusting 3-brush 32E generator

Post by awander »

I had taken the end cover off my 32E about 2 years ago, to adjust the 3rd brush. Then I figured I might need to adjust it again, so I left the cover off.

Finally a couple of weeks ago, I decided I might as well put the cover back on. The next day I rode the bike to work and back again(100 mile round trip). On the way home, the bike started running badly, which was solved by turning off the lights. As I pulled into the driveway, even with the lights off, ot would stumble when I gave it gas. I checked, and sure enough, the cover had pinched a wire, and broken it off. It was the wire from the 3rd brush.

I took the genny apart and repaired the wire, and then attempted to set the 3rd brush. With the lights ON, I adjusted the brush for 1 amp into the battery. Switching the lights OFF gave me 4 amps into the battery. I was not able to get the currents balanced between lights ON and OFF.

i have noticed also that with the engine running at road speed, and lights ON, I get about 7.5V cross the battery. With the lights OFF, the voltage rises to 8 or 8.5 V.

Is this ok, or am I going to cook my battery?
awander
'64 FLH

Re: adjusting 3-brush 32E generator

Post by awander »

Wow-nobody's got an opinion on this?

I've stumped the experts? :P
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

andy,

i would say you are doing pretty good.

the battery is really the ultimate regulator in a 3 brush system. if you are getting good service from the lamps on the bike you are probably right in the ballpark.

remember to check your water level once a month if you are riding it alot. that will also help you determine if you are overcharging it.

john
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Thanks, John.

I'm gonna' go check the electrolyte levels right now....
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Well, I've put a couple of hundred miles on her with this charging rate, and the battery is still full. I guess I will keep an eye on it, and keep riding!
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I found that the battery is defective-won;t hold a charge, though a hygrometer shows it is fully charged. That is probably why my voltage was spiking way up there with no lights....

I just put last year's 6V battery back on the bike, along with one of my rebuilt cutout relays, and the voltage never goes above 7V.....should make it easier to keep a taillight working... :D

Return to “Generator”