Kicker Stuck

jeffwest5599
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 Panhead FLH Chopper

Kicker Stuck

Post by jeffwest5599 »

Replaced my throw out bearing so I removed the kicker and cover. Put everything together and now the kicker is stuck. When I go to kick it, it will not budge. It will swing forward about 180 degrees and I hear the gears turning but it then stop facing down. I can pull in the clutch and get it back to the top but it will not kick downward. It is completely locked up. Can anyone tell me what this is or how to fix it before I take it apart for the 100th time. Thanks.

Jeff
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: Kicker Stuck

Post by jdpan »

Mock it up without the throw out bearing, if it works, you know its something to do with the bearing. Is it indexed to the fork correctly? Ie: in the flat spot..

Edit: Assuming the transmission was in working order to begin with.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Did the kicker cover go on easily upon reinstallation, or did you force the cover on (draw it down on the tranny to get it to fit against the tranny case)?....bosheff
jeffwest5599
Inactive member
Bikes: 1965 Panhead FLH Chopper

Post by jeffwest5599 »

Yes it went on easily and it worked fine. Throwout bearing is lined up. The manual did not say anything about reinstalling that I did not do. I am thinking the stop is in the wrong place. Where does the stop need to be. I read somewhere this morning about having it at 7 o;clock for installation.

Jeff
Dave_R
Bikes: 1953 FLE Panhead
1960 FLH Panhead
1979 FXE Shovel
2001 Heritage "Twinkie"

Post by Dave_R »

If you are sure that the bearing is indeed lined up, then the only thing I can think of is that the kicker drive gear could be 180 out.
When I install a kicker cover, I usually try to install it with the kick petal pushed down a little as if you were going through a normal kick stroke. This makes sure that the return stop (pin) will be on the correct side if the kick stop inside the case.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”