Kickstarter Cover Installation

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Kickstarter Cover Installation

Post by steve_wood »

I'm trying to put the cover back on. The manual says to put it in place, and use the nuts to pull it into position (I'm paraphrasing). I tried that and it gets way too hard. Don't want to break something...

Is there some trick to this?
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Re: Kickstarter Cover Installation

Post by panbagger »

it's hard to get things lined up so the cover goes on straight, I don't know any real tricks to it other than trial and error you will know when you get it right. sorry can't give you any better tips than that. the hardest part is getting the throw out bearing lined up with the fingers for the clutch arm. Scott
Billpan58
Inactive member
Bikes: 58FL
99M2Buell
89Sporty

Post by Billpan58 »

maybe try relaxing clutch arm,loosen inner nut on clutch and relax clutch w/threaded rod w/screw driver notch in it,that's a unpleasant job i did it a while ago had your problems, finally got cover back on but it still leaks,have'nt tried again, if it works let me know
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Duh, I guess I should have read this post before I posted on the other question...
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

Steve,
No doubt others know more than I, but here goes.
When I install a kicker cover, I locate the throwout bearing in the fingers, and guide it (with the cover assembly) onto the pushrod. As someone said earlier, make sure the pushrod adjuster is backed off so you are not pushing against the spring pressure of the pressure plate.
When the kicker gear gets close to the starter gear, move the kicker slightly to ensure engagement of the two before attempting to tighten the cover.
Don't force it. Castings break.
If this is too basic or covers ground already covered, I apologize.

Regards,
John
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

I take the pressure off the kicker spring before removing the cover. When I put the cover on the kicker arm seems almost vertical position. Once I have the nuts on I place the spring on the post that sticks out of the cover.. Seems to come off and go back on fairly easily this was.
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

What works for me is before I get the throw out bearing lined up, I rotate the kicker arm counter clockwise from 12 o'clock to about 9 o'clock . Then everything is in the correct position so the "ears" on the starter gear ( that separate the starter clutch & the starter mainshaft gear) don't mash up against the teeth on the starter mainshaft gear, messing both gears up in the process. Once the kicker cover is in place you can snug a few of the cover bolts up, then gently let the kicker arm return to 12 o'clock.

As others have already mentioned, it really helps to have all of the pressure off of the clutch pushrod so you're not fighting the spring action of the clutch along with trying to get everything lined up & in place.

Lots of guys with WAY more experience than me, so maybe one of them will step in here & better describe what I'm trying to say. Either way, Good Luck !
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Thanks guys. Good advice all round.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”