Can't get 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear?

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Can't get 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear?

Post by StueyC »

G'day all, I had a few problems getting my transmission to select gears after a rebuild. The only major part I changed was the ratchet lid all other bits were just seals, springs, bearings etc'. The gears would select fine from 1st through to fourth when it was on the bench but 2nd gear seamed so close to neutral that I only needed to place a little pressure on the lever screwed to the pawl carrier and it would flick into neutral. I must have pulled it apart and reassembled more than a dozen times trying to eliminate the problem but it didn't change a thing. I ended up fitting the transimssion to the bike hoping that the resistance from the forward control and the rod to the transmission would be enough to stop it wanting to drop from 2nd to neutral at a touch. Now I can only get first gear and move it back into neutral. I can't select 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear. The transmission originally had a jockey shift fitted and a foot clutch. I fitted forward controls and a mousetrap eliminator. I had to make the rod from the control to the transmission as nothing available was the correct length. I can't see why any of the changes I made would make a difference to gear selecting.

Any ideas what I can look for in trying to fix the fault?

Thanks.
StueyC
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Can't get 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear?

Post by Robert Luland »

Did you follow the manuel and use the shiffter alinment tool? It won't work properly with out it. Bob L
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

As mentioned previously, shift forks/clutches must be centered/aligned properly to allow for the proper selection of gears. If possible, try to get yer hands on the alignment tool. If not available, you can do it by trial and error, but either way it sounds like yer way off in yer alignment. If you can't shift the trans manually on the bench, you won't be able to shift it in the motorcycle no matter what you do, or how much you adjust it....bosheff
Last edited by Bosheff on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

If the ratchet lid you installed is one from V-twin my guess is this is the problem.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for the replies Panpal, Bob and Bosheff.

I didn't use an alignment tool as I fitted the original selector drum to the new lid. I took measurments and it fitted in the same position as it did in the original lid. The gears did select all the way through the range when it was on the bench but the issue was 2nd seamed so close to neutral that it would drop out of second with only a light touch on the lever. The lid I bought was from Vtwin. I also bought a new (Vtwin) selector shaft gear as the original had a tooth broken off. This gear seamed to be positioned slightly different when assembled compared to the original damaged one. Would the different position of the gear call for the drum and forks to be realigned?

StueyC
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Well Stuey ya got your self a peck of a problem! Did you follow the manual and alien the timing mark on the sifter gear? If you didn’t, start all over again. Your not going to get this though trail and error. You may get it to work half ass but you’re going to chew up the shifter clutches and the dogs on the gears. Kid, take some time to read that manual and understand it one step at a time. Your cutting corners. Bob L
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks again for the reply Bob. Yes I did take time ( lot of it) to time it correctly and yes I did read the manual thoroughly. What I tried to explain is the new gear was very slightly orientated in another postion when fitted to the shaft compared with the original gear. I suspect the aftermarket gear is not exactly as it should be and this would change the drum alignment? I do not have access to the correct alignment tool.

StueyC
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Git yer hands on a Genuine gear and ratchet lid and start all over again. If yer 2nd to nuetral transition is that close, it would seem to me that under normal ridin conditions, the tranny is gonna pop outta 2nd and into nuetral whenever it feels like it. This will not be good especially if it by chance happens under acceleration. Better a used H-D part than a truckload of repop junk. You can align the forks without the alignmment tool. It takes patience and time. If ya can't score the correct parts, go back to the handjammer set-up til ya can. This probably ain't what ya wanna hear, but in the long run you will probably be better off dollar and stress wise....bosheff
Robert Luland

Post by Robert Luland »

This my help. A lot of the stuff they sell is OEM but you better call and check. Bob L
http://www.nosparts.com/cgi-bin/dbsql/d ... ool_op=AND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I agree with all that is said. Using and original shift drum was a good start but the forks still need to be aligned. The V twin lids have a lot of other issues in the whole ratchet assembly and detent plunger too. I have more hours than it was worth into one now and I'm still not sure it is going to function properly when it is put into service.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”