Generator paper shims

Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Generator paper shims

Post by Jack_Hester »

Does anyone know a source for the paper shims used on the older setups, for setting the generator to idler gear clearance? Or, if you have the specifications, could you email them to me? I can get the correct paper and make my own. I have posted this at several forums in hopes of getting at least the specifications. Thanks.

Jack
Roadside

Re: Generator paper shims

Post by Roadside »

Hey Jack, check out this one for generator needs: http://www.antiqueharleydavidson.com
Hope this helps you somewhat, I'm sure it will.
Roadside
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

RS1 -

I checked out the site, but could find no shims. I located some at NOS Parts Ohio, and they are on their way. Thanks for the tip, though. Have a good one.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Finally go my hands on some NOS generator shims. The paper shims measure as follows:

Length: 3-1/8"
Width: 2-1/8"
Thickness: 0.01520"
Hole: 1/2" (located in one corner, 11/16" from the narrow edge, 7/16" from the long edge)

The metal shims are made of steel, and measure the same, except:
Thickness: 0.01158"

Jack
DanM
Former member
Bikes: 1913 HD single, 1926 HD JD, 1964 HD FL, 1994 Honda CT70

Post by DanM »

I saw that Colony has these shims plus the various screws in their catolog.

Dan
Olsen Denmark

Post by Olsen Denmark »

hi bro !

Try the "dutchman" at jwboon.com. He´s got the shims listed in his panhead catalogue.
Around here we don´t concern ourselves with the shims.
Our generators don´t howl, even with the new Cycle Electric 12V generators we´we mounted.
Anti-howling is the reason for the shims ?
kell

Post by kell »

I have a '52 with a twelve volt system. The paper gasket on the end of the generator is round, same as the generator. The shims you're talking about Andrew are apparently rectangular. Where do they go -- were the earlier bikes different?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Olsen -

Gear lash adjustment is their purpose. Just recently acquired some more from another source, and these are thicker than the first. All of my shims appear to be NOS. I wish that I had some original data on them, as I don't know the thicknesses that were available. When I was much younger, I took for granted that they came in one size, and would always be available. Being naive is what I think it was called.
I'm not familiar with the term howling, in relation to the generators. Is this in reference to gear noise? Have a good one.

Kell -

They are rectangular, and go directly between the generator and the case, on the solid, smooth taper. Ideally, you would set the gear lash with the generator in place (tucked in the strap) and add or remove shims, according to your gear mesh. If the gear cover is installed, and you cannot see the gear mesh, you need to add at least one shim, if not two. One thick one should be enough. They come in metal on the later Big Twins, I believe. Note that there is an oil drain hole in the 3-brush generator that is positioned directly over a pocket in the crankcase. This in turn has a channel and drain for the oil to run of the engine. The shim has a hole in it for the oil to drip through to the case channel. Also note that the generator hole in the case is oblong, to allow for generator movement. The 3-brush generators had skinny screws to allow for movement in the through holes for this adjustment.

Jack
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Kell -

Your 52 (the year I was born) had the 3-brush generator, skinny mounting screws through the gear cover, support strap from the case, and a shim or shims between the underside of the generator and the case. If you have a later 12 volt generator, with the larger mounting screws/bolts, then you may not have much in the way of adjustment.

Jack
kell

Post by kell »

Thanks Jack that answers my question very well.
Can't adjust gear lash on mine... but this thread has got me thinking about my generator whine. I changed the gasket at one point when I was working on it. The old one as I remember was a material kind of like mica or something; the new one is paper. Maybe it's too thin, a thicker gasket may put it back where it was and get rid of the whine. I guess I should try it. Has anybody had experience of gasket (not shim) thickness relating to generator whine?

Return to “Generator”