62 Panhead tank shift

Zoomin
Bikes: 1962 FLH / 1972 FLH

62 Panhead tank shift

Post by Zoomin »

Hi guys, I'm considering converting my stock 62 FLH foot shift model into an OEM style tank shift model with the OEM rocker clutch. I've never seen one before (not even photos) and have no idea exactly what the differences are between the two models. Does anybody know if I will have to change my "ratchet top" style transmission to a "jockey top" style transmission to be correct? If so will I be able to purchase just the completed jockey top assembly and bolt that on top of my existing 4 speed transmission case to function correctly? Also has anyone actually seen the "correct" 61-62 year "bombsight" style tanks that were made for the shifter gate to be mounted on the tank? I have never seen this style tank which was made for hand shift but assume that they were produced to have the correct "bombsight" tank emblem and also the lugs for a shifter gate and hand shifter to be mounted. Is there anything else you guys can think of that I might have missed and would need to do to make this a "correct" conversion?? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Re: 62 Panhead tank shift

Post by Perry Ruiter »

Zoomin wrote:Is there anything else you guys can think of that I might have missed and would need to do to make this a "correct" conversion?? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
To be correct you need a dash cover without a neutral light as hand shift never had one before 1965. Essentially a 2 light 3 light cover (see attached photo). You need to be careful buying these. The most common covers seem to be from ServiCars and they have a huge notch cut out in the front, much larger than the panhead dash cover has (see attached photo). To be absolutely correct your dash base also wouldn't have a socket installed for the neutral light (in the middle position). Alternately if you like the neutral light, get a 65 and up handshift cover for the tranny. They include a neutral switch ... Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Along with proper dash and fuel tanks you need a shiftgate, shifter, shift linkage with hardware, the complete lid assembly, as well as the complete rocker clutch assembly which includes the mounting plate, heal and toe assembly, spring and accompanying hardware, and clutch lever linkage. I'm sure I've overlooked somethings, but this will give ya an idea what yer gonna need before ya get started. Try to find as many OEM parts as possible as this will make the conversion a bunch easier, especially the the lid and drum setup. The last thing you want to do is pull the lid off after you get it all together. Make sure you can get all yer gears before you assemble the inner primary and clutch setup just in case it has to come back apart again....bosheff
Zoomin

Post by Zoomin »

Hey Perry, Thanks for the reply and photo post, that is great information. I think I could live with the original three light dash if I had to though, I wasn't even thinking about the dash. I was more worried about the trans linkage and proper shifting and the like, ..So what do you think do I need to change to the "jockey top" for sure to make it work? Thanks Kerry
Zoomin

Post by Zoomin »

Hey Bosheff, thanks, its sounding like I need the different tranny top for sure…that was one of the things I really didn’t know about. like i said i have never seen this set-up on this year bike before (many question)That’s good advice about running through the gears before reassembly.. Sounds like something I could over look and hate myself later for. How about that style tank anybody ever seen any of those???
Yags
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 FLH

Post by Yags »

Zoomin,

If I remember correctly, Jim's H-D in Mendon Ohio has a '62 hand shift in his museum. He has a complete DuoGlide collection. I checked his wesite but didn't see a picture of it. Here it is in case you want to call them and see if they will take a pic of it for you.

http://www.jimsharley-davidson.com/

Mike
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

Ever see one ? I've had mine for 27 years. It's a rider so I've done a few upgrades.
12 v system, auto advance ign. timer, belt drive primary, and a front disc.
AdlerRicoh1%20copy.jpg

100_2638copy.jpg
100_2649copy.jpg
100_2639copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Hey there DouGlide62; That's a nice change purse ya got on the handlebars! Nice touch....bosheff
Perry
Bikes: 1957 FLH Hand Shift
2015 Ultra Low

Post by Perry »

Is it also possible that you would have to move your front brake lever to the left side? I've seen hand shift bikes with front brake levers on either side and I don't know what's correct for your bike. It makes more sense to me to have it on the left.
DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 »

Bosheff, lotta' toll roads in N. Ill.
Parking meters too. It's obsolete now though, I-Pass took over.
Easier to track undesirables, LOL
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Perry rightfully pointed out that the AMCA is going to want to see the hand brake on the left with a left-hand shift, as that's the way the Factory produced them.

What were they thinking?

Imagine you are on your tankshift/footclutch machine motoring up a steep street to a stoplight. At the stop, you must apply a brake to prevent rolling backwards. Or perhaps have both feet on the ground.

You have the choice of holding the front brake with the other foot on the clutch, and standing there until the light or traffic passed. You hope your passenger does not sway to the left. You cannot take your foot off the clutch to steady the machine, as then you would be risking that the pedal may vibrate to engage itself, launching you into traffic. Trusting a pedal to stick is the true meaning of "suicide clutch". To make a pedal stay firm, it will be too damn tight for feel and control of the clutch!

Your other choice is to get into neutral before you roll to a stop. Then you can sit comfortably,until it is time to get back in gear.
But if your hand brake is on the left, you must let go of it to grab the shift lever. Your right foot cannot be on the brake to prevent you from rolling backwards, as you have to pick up the left to work the clutch!

The logical solution is to put the hand brake on the right.

One must weigh safety and comfort against AMCA points.

...Cotten
DuoGlide62

Post by DuoGlide62 »

RIGHT ON COTTEN !
not to mention the potential injuries from instinctively grabbing for the clutch while learning to ride a foot-clutch bike.
If all your experience is with a foot shift bike the odds of you doing so are greatly increased. ...Rick
Perry
Bikes: 1957 FLH Hand Shift
2015 Ultra Low

Post by Perry »

Cotton,

My only experience has been riding my handshift Pan with the front brake lever on the left for the last two years, I've never ridden one with the lever on the right.

In the scenario you describe, I can take my left hand off of the front brake, put the bike in gear and grab the brake again pretty quickly and then take off in a controlled fashion. I could be wrong but isn't that better than trying to work the throttle and the front brake with one hand when taking off on a hill?
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Perry,
You gotta have long enough fingers to use your index and middle finger on the lever, and twist the throttle grip with your palm, ring finger and pinky. I guess it is 'all in the wrist'.
I can manage a quick lefty brake-to-shifter snatch when I must,... when the hill is gentle,... And a braindead citizen in a car isn't already breathing on my rear fender tip!

respectfully,
Zoomin

Post by Zoomin »

Hi DuoGlide 62That pan is absolutely stunning! That's what I've been looking for! I thought the bike surely existed somewhere but I have never seen one until your photos posted here Thank You. It's weird too because I think we are neighbors I live in Hammond Indiana,right across the state line from Chicago, I gotta be pretty close to your location. So not to beat a dead horse but I assume you have the "jockey top" style transmission top on your bike as opposed to my "Ratchet top" I just want to make sure before I go shopping to start my conversion. Can you please verify, I think i have a line on that style tranny top. Again Thanks a ton to everybody on this sight!!! This place Rocks.... Kerry

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”