electric start / belt drive converison

norm
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948 Panhead

electric start / belt drive converison

Post by norm »

Hi, I have just purchased a 1948 reconditioned Panhead motor (with no heads), S&S oil pump, a couple of old rims with drum brakes, a few miscellaneous parts, and a 1950 frame. I am planning to build the old 1950's bobber with modern comforts and a little extra performance where possible using after market lookalike Panhead "heads", S&S carburetor, and maybe a small Cam.

My question is: what is the best way to set up for an electric start / 1 1/2" belt drive conversion in conjuction with a new Revtech 4 speed tranny (or similar). To keep original tin primary cover, do I need a special inner primary "plate" made?

thanks,

Norm
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Re: electric start / belt drive converison

Post by Sir_Rat »

The outer support for the Electric starter shaft in built into the outer primary on all electric start models. There is no way the tin outer primary can support the electric starter. I think I remember seeing somewhere a cast aluminum outer primary that looked like the early tins. Rev Tech makes both style trannies. If you got your heart set on a push button get the one with the boss and studs for a cast inner primary. Your best bet would be to keep the original tin (Great wall decorations) and just go with the later style trans/inner/outer primary set up. I'm not sure about the motor sproket spacing if you go this route but I'm sure someone else here can advise you there. If you go the later model set up you can still set it up to kick start as well so you have the best of both. Also electric start parts are readily available, given you location thats probably a big plus. I'm headed to Bohol in 3 weeks to do some diving and will passing through Manila on the 21-22. If there are some (small) parts you need brought in let me know. I go a little extra room in my suitcase. Aloha,
Mike
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

http://www.techcycle.com
norm, click on the price part and it will show systems for 4 speed,ratchet top tranny's among others. call them and tell them what ya need. a coupla people i know used them and liked them. you can use your tin cover with there system. gotta have 12v.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

norm

you may want to look into a right side starter. then you can run whatever primary setup you want.

check both threads on this page http://knucklenutz.com/tech/viewforum.p ... 669dc72f5c

john
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

Your -30 sprocket shaft poses a problem.If you are running an open primary and belt drive use a 65 -77 trans case and a 65-69 length mainshaft.There are then several aftermarket starter mount arrangements that let you mount the starter. To correct your primary belt misalignment caused by the slightly longer mainshaft simply use a 2" front pulley on your 11\2" belt drive.This worked for me in the past . Gilmer belt primary drives were new then and there were no aftermarket starter mount plates so we used the rear half of a set of stock primaries.It was ugly but did allow the customer (who was missing a leg) to start his UL.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i havn't gotten an email from russ in a while now as i usualy get his updates. i didn't know he was putting them out for market already or ida mentioned that route. if his isn't available you can check out that link for tech cycle for an easy way to go.
stroker93
Inactive member
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Post by stroker93 »

The only set up I know of is Tech cycle,,they are expensive..Have done quite a few open belts for tapered and splined shafts,,there are offset spacers avail and have had adapters made..I have not went with to many electrics ..I have mated pans to 5 speeds with electric start( basically cut backin plate,,tech copy)..I will offer anything can be done,,but at a cost.. A pan onced tuned and set up will start with kicker NO problem..
Dave
travelinbo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1958 Panhead chopper

Post by travelinbo »

I have a 58 panhead that I converted to a electric start. But I got rid of the tin primary altogether. I went as far as getting the bdl 3" beltdrive with the outboard bearings and a 5 speed tranny. I had a friend that is a machinist take the backplate for the beltdrive and trim the tabs off that were used for the cone motors and make a piece so I can attach the backing plate where the tin primary attached. Even with a friend doing the work it wasn't cheap. Almost done with the build now.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”