And another transmission/gearbox question

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

And another transmission/gearbox question

Post by StueyC »

First question- is the bush supposed to be able to slide in the countershaft second gear or it it supposed to be a tight fit?

Second question- when changing to neutral from first the cam follower falls into position correctly but it appears the pawls don't click into position. If I move the gear lever very slightly the pawls click in but you then only have to slightly touch the lever and it jumps into second gear rapidly. There is a risk that it could jump into second from neutral while idling at traffic lights. I have everthing timed correctly and the only thing I can see that isn't quite right is there is some wear in the pawl carrier bush. Can this be the cause of the problem or should I look elswhere?

StueyC
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: And another transmission/gearbox question

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Have you check the pawl springs and that the pawls are not burred? I have found pawl springs to be busted in two pieces before.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

1-yes it is a slip fit. 2-IME this is usually a bad pawl spring ,worn pawl,sticky pawl or bad pawl carrier spring.If the pawl bushing is badly worn I reckon it could be that.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for the replies. All springs have been replaced with new and pawls are in good condition. It must be the slightly worn carrier bush. I will pull it apart and replace the bush and hopefully the problem will go.

StueyC
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Is the pawl carrier timed correctly? Check your manual !
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Hi Fourthgear, yes the notch in the pawl carrier is lined up with a slot between the teeth. If any thing it is very slightly off to one side but I can't adjust it any further because the screw slots in the pawl carrier won't allow me to rotate it any further.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Curious! Are you working with a OEM cover of aftermarket?
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Hi Panpal, I would guess the entire ratchet top is aftermarket as is the gearbox. I have stripped the transmission and reassembled it replaceing the ratchet lid with new aftermarket and replacement of the shift shaft gear. All new springs etc' were also used. The shift shaft gear is timed properly and the new gear matched the old one perfectly. I believe the problem existed when I got this FL from the previous owner. Like I said in a previous post the pawls don't engage when moving from first to neutral so you cannot select 2nd gear unless you move the shift lever back again until the pawl clicks inot place, the lever then has pressure against one of the carrier springs so it it automatically trying to select second gear and you only need very slight pressure on the shift lever and it jumps into second.

Any suggestions apart from the worn carrier bush?

StueyC
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Hey Stuey,

I am trying to get an aftermarket rachet lid working also. I may as well of started with a casting. A few things I am doing are.
The pawl holder has 1/16 diameter roll pins that are not drilled on center line with the holes. The pawls with 1/8 key slots swivel and do not always line up with the grooves on the gear shaft. Could be part of your problem also.
The ramps on each side for the back of the pawls to disengage them needed to be bent closer to the gear shaft and reslope the ramps so that the back of the pawl will ride up on them properly. they were also too tall and hit on the pawl holder. I cut them down for some clearance.
The bushing needs to be replaced. very sloppy!
The cast shift barrel that came with mine had sloppy grooves. I replaced it with an OEM barrel and fit it into the lid.
I need to create more travel in the ratchet assemby so that the shift barrel will turn more with a push or pull on the shifter. It will barly turn the barrel enough that the spring pin may or may not continue to turn it until it engages in the dimples. I think the end of the spring pin needs to be narrowed a little and polished. It could also use a stronger spring.
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for the guidance Panpal. I will look at the ramps you mentioned when I get home tonight. When I replaced the cover I only replaced the shell itself not the cam.

StueyC
StueyC
Inactive member

Post by StueyC »

The new carrier bush has made no difference and the problem remains. I've come to the conclusion that the pawl carrier is aftermarket and that the carrier spring retainers are not postioned correctly in relation to the outer carrier screw holes. If I could rotate the carrier another 0.125" on the outer edge then the pawl would click into its correct location in the gear and it would take the tension off the carrier spring which is trying to make it jump into second gear. I'm going to take the carrier to work tomorrow and machine the carrier screw slots a little longer to see if I can assemble the carrier in the correct postion.

Has anyone encountered any problems with aftermarket pawl carriers similar to what I'm having?

StueyC

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”