3-brush generator Q

doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

3-brush generator Q

Post by doc308 »

I just got my generator back from an automotive electrical repair shop and I noticed that the oil deflector ( just inboard of the drive gear) can turn with a slight bit of pressure. I don't recall if this deflecter was able to move or not before I took the generator to the shop . Q--is it supposed to be able to turn or is it supposed to be solid?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: 3-brush generator Q

Post by john HD »

doc

lemme go look out in the shop i got a couple laying around.

i believe it has a spring under the gear to hold it in place, so it is possible it could turn.

brb...

john
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

doc,

both the model 32 and model 52 on my bench the deflectors move with slight effort. they both have a spring between the gear and the deflector.

they are not loose but rotate when you hold the gear steady.

john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doc308
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

Thanks very much, John--I always appreciate your input.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I just checked 3 of them that I had on the shelf, same deal, snug fit, deflecter will turn with some effort. The spring is the thing that holds in where it belongs.

John, make sure you check the muffler bearings in that NOS squish pipe before you install it, after all those years on the shelf they might be a little rusty :wink:

mike
doc308
2016 Softail Slim

Re: 3-brush generator Q's

Post by doc308 »

I have another Q. When the generator was at the shop, they indicated that they couldn't get a reading on it while testing. They eventually said that the chrome end cover was "grounding out on the body". So the guy put electrical tape on the inside of the cover and said that that solved the problem (??????). This makes no sense to me. Isn't the chrome end cover grounded anyway by the 2 screws that hold it on ? Anyway, I returned the generator to the shop due to other errors noted and I'll be talking to the guy tomorrow. So, am I correct re: the end cover or could it be grounding out te circuit somehow?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: 3-brush generator Q's

Post by Bigincher »

doc308 wrote:I have another Q. When the generator was at the shop, they indicated that they couldn't get a reading on it while testing. They eventually said that the chrome end cover was "grounding out on the body". So the guy put electrical tape on the inside of the cover and said that that solved the problem (??????). This makes no sense to me. Isn't the chrome end cover grounded anyway by the 2 screws that hold it on ? Anyway, I returned the generator to the shop due to other errors noted and I'll be talking to the guy tomorrow. So, am I correct re: the end cover or could it be grounding out te circuit somehow?
Sometimes the end cover comes very close to the terminal posts, and it's possible they can short over to the terminals and ground them out. That's been a problem with some of my generators in the past, and is something to watch for.

Return to “Generator”