Is that a offset key on kicker starter clutch ?

TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Is that a offset key on kicker starter clutch ?

Post by TimmyV »

Got my Pan fired up for the first time yesterday after getting her home the day before. Sounded sweet, however my joy quickly faded as something gave way in the kicker after about 6 -8 starts. Took it apart today to find that the key had sheared on the starter clutch. Parts diagram I have shows it should have 2 keys but this one only had one keyway cut in it. Appears to be an offset key, 1/4" wide x ?? tall key. Anyone know for sure ?

Also, is there an advantage to running with just one key ( as in possibly saving the clutch hub key) or is it better with 2 keys ? I realize that 2 would be stronger with both keys, but new to 4 speed kickers so I really don't know what's better. I have another starter clutch with 2 keyways in it that I can use if so.

Thanks,
TimmyV
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Is that a offset key on kicker starter clutch ?

Post by awander »

Timmy:

What is an "offset key"? I am not familiar with the term.
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

An offset key is one that is not symmetrical in shape as in 1/4" x 1/4" x 25/64" long. From what I can find out so far the key in question is 1/4" wide x ?? tall x 26/64" long. Just wish I knew the middle dimension ( how far the key sticks out of the keyway) because I have some 1/4" keystock cut to the correct length, just don't know what dimnesion to make the remaining side. Going to seek out the correct keys today but I live in BFE so odds are they will be hard to find.
HD# 33393-50
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Well-you've got the parts that it fits.........
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

You're right awander...Just came in from garage after taking some measurements. Gonna try & file this 3/16" keystock down to fit. It appears to be 3/16" x 5/32" x 25/64" long. Just wasn't awake enough this morning to think straight. Pan fever you know.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”