Transmissions gaskets and sealant?

BastardBoy
Bikes: 1952 PanHead with 1948 Frame

Transmissions gaskets and sealant?

Post by BastardBoy »

Hi all,

I am doing a complete rebuild of my 1952 panhead transmission. I getting ready to put her back together and am seeking recommendations on how to seal her tight. Gaskets only? Gaskets and sealant? What type of sealant?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
BastardBoy
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Re: Transmissions gaskets and sealant?

Post by 62wild1 »

I'm no expert but on my kicker cover gasket I sprayed both sides of my gasket with Permatex High Tack Spray a Gasket Sealant then followed the directions and so far no leaks.

You may want to wait for other replies as I am new to these bikes.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If you have two reasonably true surfaces, I would suggest using Anti-Sieze. You don't have to scrape it when you remove the cover, and many times you can recoat the gasket, and get away with using it again. The Anti-Sieze will swell the gasket, therefore compensating for flaws and imperfections, and the best part it does not stick. Also works well on thermostat housing gaskets. I hate scraping gaskets.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Whenever possible I always prefer to not use sealant and let the gasket do its job. However there are times you need to use something, like when you need the thing to stay aligned and it wants to move or when the surface isn't perfect. What you use really depends on what you need to accomplish. If its just keeping the thing stuck down and aligned while you mate the parts a small amount of adhesive will work, if you need a little help to fill imperfections the gasket might not seal then I recommend coppercoat, or permatex. I still use the old Indian Head shellac as an adhesive. What I strongly recommend against using is any type of silicone. This is just my opinion and I'm sure you'll get many more responses with different ideas. The main thing you want is use the proper adhesive or sealant for the job you are trying to accomplish and use only as much as you need to get the job done. It is the gaskets job to make the seal but as we all know sometimes they just won't stay in place without some help and sometimes our parts aren't quite perfect, like a lot of us they are old and imperfect.
hobo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1955 FL

Post by hobo »

BastardBoy wrote:Hi all,

I am doing a complete rebuild of my 1952 panhead transmission. I getting ready to put her back together and am seeking recommendations on how to seal her tight. Gaskets only? Gaskets and sealant? What type of sealant?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
BastardBoy
While I'm new to Pans, I've wrenched on many Shovels and I prefer to use the copper spray sealant on my gaskets wherever possible. The spray gives me just enough tack to get the job done, but nothing that squishes all over when I bolt down the two surfaces.

Just my .02, and I'm sure you'll get many other responses...

Hobo

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”