transmission oil deflector

Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

transmission oil deflector

Post by Eric »

I am putting a bike together from parts, first and only. I going to install the transmission but have many questions. Upon mounting the oil deflector, does the output shaft seem to barely have enough threads to install the nut? And the gear has a face grove on it with the number of teeth,too. Does this side go in or out?
Will the deflector go inside the primary cover? Sorry for all this but the books say assemble in revers order- it was never together.
Please helThanks
Gary
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: transmission oil deflector

Post by RUBONE »

If the gear you are referring to is the drive sprocket it goes on with the groove side towards the gearbox. Make sure the keeper for the oil seal sleeve is in place first! It is the small L shaped piece that locks the sleeve to the drive gear when the sprocket goes on and is an important piece of the assembly. The oil deflector goes directly onto the sprocket and then the tabbed lock washer goes on, finally the nut. Remember it is left hand threaded. Once it is tight bend the tab on the washer that best lines up with a flat on the nut. Yes, the threads are barely as long as the assembly, and the deflector sticks into the back of the primary. That is its job, to keep any thing that leaks past the drive gear from flinging all over the bike and instead flings it into the primary.
Robbie
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

RUBONE,
Thanks for the info but I don't know about the keeper for the oil seal sleeve. I am using the Clymer manual page 269.
Thanks
Eric
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The panhead book describes it like this, Install main drive gear spacer key,registering longer section of key in any splineway on main drivegear and shorter section of key in slot of outer edge of of main drive gear spacer. basicly the purpose of the key is to make the spacer,(shaped like a top hat) spin with the drive gear, so as not to wear upon the seal....Mike
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Eric,
Did you figure out the key? I don't know what might be in a Clymer manual, never used one. I have tons of factory H-D literature that I use for reference. That and having been working on this old junk for the last 40 years including ten years in dealerships in the '70s.
The key is about 1/4 inch wide and bent in an L shape. As Panacea said, it connects the main drive gear and the seal sleeve so they turn together. If the sleeve does not rotate with the gear a mainseal failure is a given.
Robbie
Eric

Post by Eric »

I do have a panhead service manual '48-57 iread about it in there. is this spacer key inside the transmission or outside? The transmission is an aftermarket and is already assembled.
Thanks
Eric
Eric

Post by Eric »

Hey Guys I found it!http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageView ... PageID=177
If it wasn't for your help I would have never known about it
Thanks
Eric
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

It was here too: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2438 (same article)

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”