Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Handshift tranny top

Post by LittleAl »

I did some swapping around with two different handshift tops. took good drum and lever assembly out of a cruddy top and want to put them in a nearly perfect top. I marked the setup before removing them so I could put them into the new top properly. Well, that didn't work out, lol. I really struggled getting it all out, took lots of concentrated heat and some solid raps with a drift pin & hammer. Anyway, I lost all the markings I made.

Soooo, I was hoping someone can help me out with pictures or description on how it goes back together. The manual is very very vauge, just saying make sure the marks are lined up when meshing the two gears for proper shifting!

So what I need to know is:

looking from the side, at what clock position should the lever be?

what indent should the drum be in when meshing the gears?

what relative position should the lever gear be in when meshing gears?

on the lever side, should there be a set-screw of some type to hold the drum shaft in? seems there's a groove & threaded hole in the right places. the circlip that goes on the other end can't possibly hold the shaft in
(edit) never mind, the parts book shows it, 34050-36

I just KNEW i should have taken a picture before I started. A close up picture of a working one would really help me out here...

Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Handshift tranny top

Post by RUBONE »

Al,
Why can't you line up the marks? The one on the shifter gear is a small line between two teeth, the one on the drum is a beveled tooth. Back out the detent plunger and it will make it easier to mesh them. The gear goes on with the relieved side towards the left so that the spring sits in it. What year are you messing with as pre '47 and '47 and later shift pattern is reversed and goes together 180 degrees out on the shaft.
Robbie
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

as it turns out, there ARE marks, guess I was too impatient to really find them. Once Robbie pointed out what marks I was looking for I found them easily. (Thanks Robbie!)

It's back together now except I still have a question on the lever. I haven't cotter-pinned it into the gear yet so I can still position it properly, the drum & lever gears are meshed correctly.

For a handshift tank, what position should the lever itself be?

Oh and btw, this is on a '54
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Al,
Around 7 o'clock to 7:30 for low gear. Since it fits a square hole it will only go in at about that or it will be WAY off. In high gear, shift lever all the way forward, it is at about 4:30 or 5 o'clock.
Robbie
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

Robbie,

after much research with palmers, parts book, SM and pictures I've taken at HD museum & Rhinebeck and some purty picture books of HD's I've come to the conclusion you are correct.

I assembled it with the marked gears meshed and the lever in the down position at about 7 o'clock. I'm convinced now it's correct. Guess I;ll know for sure once it's on and the bike is running.

In the meantime, the set-screw to hold the drum shaft, any idea on size? I have an good old fashioned hardware store by me, has everything! but no go on a set screw for that. In desperation I may try to find a screw/bolt that threads in, taper the bottom into a "pin" that will ride clean in the shaft groove allowing free turning but prevent slipping out of the shaft (the original intention of it) and then cut off the head and cut a slot for a screwdriver. with some locktight and just below the surface i should be good right? It's not like it could fall out.
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

well I got it.

found a screw in my coffee cans of screws, nuts, bolts & washers (yep, I never through any out) and worked about 30 minutes with a dremmel to form a nice round "pin" on the bottom, rides in the shaft groove real nice. Threaded it in until it touched the bottom of the rod groove then cut it off flush with the tranny top. backed it out, cut it back another 1/8 inch and cut a slot for a screwdriver. Locktight and threaded in just below the surface and everything seems good!

another 2 minute task completed in just one hour, LOL

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”