Generator: fits CE with foot clutch

King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Generator: fits CE with foot clutch

Post by King »

I'm looking at going from the stock 6 volt to a 12 volt system on my 51FL. Right now I'm leaning towards the Cycle Electric 12V generator with the built in voltage regulator (ya, I know it is butt ugly!!) to stay as simple as possible plus I've heard a lot of good things about their products.
The question is, has anyone installed one with a stock foot clutch rocker? And if so, are there clearance problems?

Thanks

King
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Generator

Post by caschnd1 »

King,

I've used the Cycle Electric 12V gen w/ built in regulator with the rocker clutch. No clearance problems. Makes for a nice clean installation. One item of note on the CE generator w/ regulator, they make two different regulators. You want the "low output" regulator if you are using a 5.5amp 12V battery (the batt that fits inside the horseshoe oil tank). If you are using a larger battery, you'll want the "high output" regulator. Using the high output regulator with the small 5.5amp battery will cook it.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Don't forget that you can also opt for CE's original generator without endmount regulator, which is bolt-for-bolt interchangeable for replacement parts as originals. (CE's are built on the original machinery from H-D.)
Then you can use either a stock 12v regulator, or hide a solidstate box (CE102 ) under the generator on the motormount.
And a stock generator cover looks a lot better than them silly fins.
SFMike
Inactive member
Bikes: 68 Bonneville
48 EL
65 FLH
03 Road Glide
A few others over the years.

Post by SFMike »

I put a CE on my '65 a few years ago--works great and I don't have the old regulator sitting next to the exhaust and cooking anymore.
Thinking about electronic ignition next.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
3 out of 3 say yes
I say yes also to the CE reg. mine is on HD 65A gen.
electric franks, if you can find them are good also.
mbskeam

Return to “Generator”