tech cycle starter

mtnspan
Inactive member

tech cycle starter

Post by mtnspan »

How big of a job is it to install one in a 59' swing arm? I already have a Primo belt drive(enclosed) and would like to use my oil tank(electric start type) and mousetrap clutch arm. Any issues?
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

tech cycle starter

Post by panz4ever »

I see you are in So Cal. I live in Nor-Cal. Put one on a 50 pan chopper. It's not that it is hard, but it is time consuming. There are definitely some alignment issues to consider. The Primo will not work; the teeth on the starter and motor sprocket are not the same as the Primo. The belt is made by BDL, a So-Cal company. The Sept/Oct 04 issue of Iron Works magazine had an article about it. That is a good starting point.

Whenever I called Tech Cycle they were very polite, friendly and helpful. The only part that sucks eggs is the the clutch arm. I am still running a mousetrap and the arm is angled wrong. I made a temporary fix. The Iron Works article talks about the same problem. I am intending to take the bike down to Ventura Motorworks and have them make one for me. There were very people friendly on the phone. The Iron Works install on the article was done in their shop.
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Thanks Panz4ever, what oil tank are you using? I have chopper tank thats for a rigid in my swingarm 58-64 frame. Had to make a bracket for it and would like to keep it.
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Thanks Panz4ever, what oil tank are you using? I have chopper tank thats for a rigid in my swingarm 58-64 frame. Had to make a bracket for it and would like to keep it.
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

:oops: didn't mean to post it three times. Looking at there website pics,it looks like the clutch release arm will need some work. What needs to be done to the mousetrap arm to make it work?
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

I am using one that they sell with the kit. Only problem I had with it was some clearance issue on right bottom side where it initially meets the end of the starter. I had to cut out a small section of the bottom of the tray. If you have some time give me a number I can reach you and we can go over it at length. Also have the diagram I used and I can mail you some completed flicks as well.

Dave Newman
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

:D
Thanks I'll send you a PM.
FXRocket

Post by FXRocket »

FWIW the ring gear on the back of the pro-clutch can be swaped out for the TC gear.

Post by Guest »

Does anyone have an electronic (scanned) or hard copy of the article in the Sept/Oct 04 issue of Iron Works magazine?

I'd like to obtain a copy by e-mail or by fax and would be willing to fork over a few bucks or so to get it.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Sorry about that, I didn't realize I was not logged in.

KEVSETT

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone have an electronic (scanned) or hard copy of the article in the Sept/Oct 04 issue of Iron Works magazine?

I'd like to obtain a copy by e-mail or by fax and would be willing to fork over a few bucks or so to get it.
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

kevsett, give me your mailing name and address and I will mail you a copy of the article...Dave Newman
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

PM sent.

Thanks, Dave.

Kevin

panz4ever wrote:kevsett, give me your mailing name and address and I will mail you a copy of the article...Dave Newman

Post by Guest »

I also am thinking about the TC starter for my 51. I don`t understand why a ring geer can`t be put on the primo clutch basket . I just put this set up on and hate to have to buy the other belt set TC sells. Primo geering is better I think to, a little higher. Only thing I can think of is the back spaceing between the clutch basket and the shift drum cover and the the drive chain. If so why can`t you have the ring geer ground narrower? It can`t be that much .....I also wonder if you guys Know if the starter nose will clear the left side exaust pipe were it goes over the tin primary?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I also am thinking about the TC starter for my 51. I don`t understand why a ring geer can`t be put on the primo clutch basket :?
The Rivera Pro clutch is already drilled for a ring gear. The BDL requires machining...

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”