Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Ratchet top tranny conversion

Post by LittleAl »

I have a ratchet top tranny in excellent condition for my '54. I would like to go to tank shift (I think). A good buy (if the price stays low enough) is ending tomorrow on the correct lid but I was looking in the parts manual and it seems like a lot of stuff will have to be changed and I'm gun shy to take the plunge so I have a few questions:

1) are the tank shift tranny internals available (V-Twin, other aftermarket sources)?

2) shift drum, forks, etc. that need to be swapped, if they are available, a major tranny job or basic? I have a fear of splitting cases and opening trannys, lol

3) if the parts can be had easily, and it's not a major opening up of the entire tranny, can I count on you guys to guide me through it?

tranny is currently sitting on my kitchen table but I've been afraid to open her up!

Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Ratchet top tranny conversion

Post by RUBONE »

Al, not sure what parts book you are looking at but there is NO internal difference between a handshift and footshift gearbox. Only the top is different. To switch it the forks need to be spaced correctly to the drum. That is basically it. If you get a handshift top make sure it is complete. Do not purchase a casting only, it will just make your life hard.
Robbie
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Hand shift lids are plentiful at swap meets. As was stated, get a 47 & later complete lid and have the forks adjusted.
VPH-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

well, against the good advice I received here (so I'm stubborn, lol) I bought the tranny top off eBay. Got it cheap so no big deal. It has the everything except the drum and drum shaft.

I saw, but missed, an eBay sale for a cracked top with a good drum. I emailed the seller to ask if he'd relist since it didn't sell and what the part numbers were and I'm confused. He gave me a top number of 34809-52 and a drum (cam) number of 34016-52. I can find NO reference to these numbers anywhere. he says their stamped right into the cam and cast into the top.
my parts book (49-57) shows the cam as 34010-36 and top as 34804-36

can anyone confirm for me that these are valid numbers and they'll fit my '54 tranny?

I'd like to use the drum and shaft only in the top I already bought, which is correct for my year, without the neutral switch.

Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Most -52 numbers relate to ratchet top parts!!
Robbie
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

yep, got the real deal after about 10 emails back and forth with the seller.

thanks!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”