Replacing kickstart lever bushings & seal

doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Replacing kickstart lever bushings & seal

Post by doc308 »

My 1950 developed a leak out of the kickstart seal. I see the new seals available on ebay.
Q-- How do I remove the old bushings and seal from the kicker cover? I don't own a press and would need to do this with hand tools. Is this possible/advisable to do?
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Re: Replacing kickstart lever bushings & seal

Post by BigMike »

they can be knocked out with a drift, but it's about 90% sure that you will crack the internal boss of the casting if you drive the new ones in rather than pressing them and gently reaming to fit. (the seal is tightened on the shaft by the two halves of the bushing) It isn't much of a job, to take it to a machine shop. If you wanted to, an el-cheapo arbor press from Harbor Freight or some such will handle this one easily. You may find your case cracked anyway, the earlier "pig-nose" shaped ones are usually equipped with minor cracks already.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

a vise and the right size socket will work. kinda like doing u-joints on a drive line, but a press of some kind is better...

mbskeam
VT

Post by VT »

If you find or crack the cover, the new ones from V-Twin will need to have some casting ground out some near the area of the top push rod finger boss - enough that you can get a full swing arc with the release lever.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

And always remember that, with enough force, you can destroy ANYTHING. Even with a good press, if you don't support it correctly and use the right punch, you're probably going to break something. Like BigMike said, if you have the new parts and you can find a good machine shop locally, its an easy job.

If you want to install it yourself here is an old trick that I learned a long time ago about working with aluminum casting cases and bushings, or bearing races, made from some other metal: "heat the case and freeze the race". It'll drop right in every time!

mike
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Can't this be done with the right size bolt, nut and washers?
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

sure. installation can, anyway.
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Remember to ream the new bushing after installing it. This is not one of those things that will "work" itself in with use. Ask me how I know? -Steve
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

I have a tool made to remove and install these bushings. I'll see if I can snap a picture of it. There's a fellow on eBay that sells the same. I'll see if I can find his username. Still requires a press, but makes for a better installation.

Jack
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

Can't this be done with the right size bolt, nut and washers?

yes it can be done that way also, or a big C-clamp and socket, but it is much easier with a press.

mbskeam
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Aswas said!--Apress or vise,etc.,---If ya don't want to spend any MONEY!--Do this.Use your VICE at home or if you don't have a vice!.Use a buddies vice!--Be careful when using the vice as you don't want to go to fast!& pay attention to the case To make-sure its not slipping while applying pressure with the Vice-Handle!--It wont take-long to do ,Just do it right. Use a perfect fitting socket as the one you used when pressing them out!---(put plenty of grease on the o-ring & slide it in its space!--The bushings sit right at the ends of the cover!-(both bushings).This creates a gap inside that you cannot see & this is where you pit the greased-up o-ring seal.--Take your time Its not Rocket-science! 8) --- O SHIT!,this posting is a few yrs. old!,,,Didnt mean to answer a ? that already has been DONE & RUNNING! :lol: ,Well you get that from time to time!---SORRY,----RICHIE :oops:
45acp
Bikes: 2003 fxstdsei
1966 flh
1955 fle

Post by 45acp »

I have used a length of fine thread allthread to remove and install. it is slow but sure. TW

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”