1958 transmission

panheaded

1958 transmission

Post by panheaded »

I'm having trouble with 3rd gear on 58 transmission so was rechecking chains and clutch. I noticed clutch hub moving. I grabbed the hub and lifted it. It and gears moved 1/16". I guess the mainshaft is loose. This seams like a lot of movement. How bad is this? Whats going on in there?

I have had the engine apart before and would like to do all repairs myself. But I'm a little intimidated by the transmission. Hopfully worring about nothing.
Ed
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: 58 transmission

Post by Jack_Hester »

Don't be intimidated. Takes fewer specialty tools to do one. Much easier than an engine build. You will need some outside micrometers, as well as inside mic's, unless you want to use snap gages. I prefer them, as you only need outside mic's to do it all. Have an OEM service manual and parts manual on hand. Reprints are available from Buffalo_Motorcycle_Works on eBay.

Jack
panheaded

Re: 58 transmission

Post by panheaded »

Thanks Jack,
I guess I'll get her out of there and get started. When I used the manual to put the engine together I noticed there were finer points or missing paragraphs that I didn't understand.
I guess this is from lack of exsperience. Since one of the best parts of having this machine is doing the work myself, I may as well get on with it.
Ed

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”