Rebuilding one piece OEM kicker arms?

Kuda
Bikes: *

Rebuilding one piece OEM kicker arms?

Post by Kuda »

Just wondering if it can be done, and if it's remotely cost effective. Seems mine has worn too small for any bushings I can find, a brand new set is still sloppy un-reamed. I've tried the replica one piece arms and they were a mess, machined 15 degrees off, threads crap, and the metal quality left a lot to be desired. And good one piece OEM kickers are getting really hard to find. Before I give up and use an incorrect (but servicable) two piece, anybody know of someone who's willing to weld up and machine a kicker for me? No one local is even remotely interested in the project...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Rebuilding one piece OEM kicker arms?

Post by john HD »

kuda

instead of welding could you press a sleeve on it then machine it to size?

john

Post by Guest »

Bill's custom cycle in Bloomsburg Pa has a over size kit where ya just chack yours up in a lathe and clean it up. The center points are already there were the factory did it's inital machining. You can also find them under Zimalady on fleese-bay.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

kuda:

if you don;t have access to a lathe, I could turn one down for you to fit the oversized bushing.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I had the one piece arm on my 49 turned down enough to get it strait by an old knuckel guy who has passed on, as I recall there is a two piece bushing with a rubber oil seal installed in between, I found out the hard way about the seal....Mike
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Thanks for the replies guys! Ok, in some semblence of order: The problem is that the kicker shaft is now too small for even new bushings. As you know, you're supposed to ream the bushings to fit the kicker shaft after installation. Well, mine just rattles around on brand new bushings. And the "oversize" bushings I found were oversize *OD*, not ID. In otherwords, they were for hogged out kicker covers, not undersized kicker shafts. And no, I don't have access to a lathe (wish I did, had to make wheel spacers with a grinding wheel last night, not fun). Machining up an insert sounds good, but it'd have to be *damn* thin to fit in there as there's only a little play now with the new bushings. Or I guess I could have the shaft turned down even more, then the insert could be thicker. Not sure what that would to do the structural integrety of the kicker tho'...

-Kuda
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

kuda:

1) Did you check out the ebay auctions from zimalady? They say that the bushings are .020 undersized, for just this purpose.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KNUCKLEH ... enameZWDVW

2) buy a set and send me the bushings and the arm, and I'll machine it to fit.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”