4 speed mainshaft bearing

oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

4 speed mainshaft bearing

Post by oldbob »

A few months back as I was putting my rebuilt engine back in the frame I found that my transmission mainshaft bearing felt bad. I replaced the bearing with a USA made bearing from a bearing supply store. It only had the shield on one side, I put the unshield side faceing the gears. I know that most car and truck manual tranmissions use unshielded bearings close to the gears. Now I am wondering if it could cause a problem later on . Would I be better off putting the aftermarket made in China bearing with two shields back in.

Thanks guys

Robert
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Oldbob, are we talkin' 65 up? Mike
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

it is a revteck 4 speed . I think is the same as 36 to 65

Robert
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

I take it your talking about the bearing on the kicker side of the main shaft. This bearing is fine without the shields. don't change it.
Rich

Post by Guest »

i rebuilt my tranny about six months ago and ran into the same thing running a 57 transmission. the guy that i get most of my advise from sold it to me and when i asked him about it he asured me that i was fine with just the one shield. i have 1k miles on it now and it seems to be trouble free so far.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”