3 speed with reverse on panhead?

1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

3 speed with reverse on panhead?

Post by 1964 pan »

There is a 64 pan on ebay. Listed as very original ground up restoration. It has what looks like a servicar tank shifter gate. How original is that. For $18,000.00 I would expect better than that!
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

So is the tank shifter gate different between servi-car and FLH? According to the Palmer book, 3 speed plus reverse handshift was available up to and including 1964, but I don't know if the gate is the same.

Looking at pictures from the Greg Fields book, the ebay item (at least the shifter part) looks correct....

steve
1964 pan

Post by 1964 pan »

Mr. Wood. I don't know much. But I know the shifter gate on my '64 is right. Because I got it in 1974 and it was in original, unrestored condition. Actually, it looked like it had not been touched in 10years. Except it had the hell rode out of it. An all original rat bike, if you will. The shifter gate on it goes like such. All the way back is first gear, one notch forward is neutral, next notch forward is 2nd, next forward is 3rd, all the way forward is 4th gear. That is the way it is numbered. The 3 speed with reverse shifter gate was probably available up to 1964. But, I am pretty sure it was for a 3 speed transmission with reverse. Not a 4 speed. By the way. I have one of each gate. My original and a 3 speed style. I guess the 3 speed gate would work. Not original .
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tank-mounted shift gates were available through '65 (at least) for both 3 and 4 speeds. ('65s used 3.5 gallon tanks for handshift models, identical to previous years.)
And of course, the gate would be notched and numbered according to the tranny configuration.
(In use, the notches and numbers should mean nothing!)

My experience with reverse trannys did not impress me in the least.
Unless you have some physical impairment that requires one, they are worse than pointless.

....Cotten
1964 pan

Post by 1964 pan »

O.K. Ya'll made me go out and round up my gates. The one on the left is 3 speed with reverse. Pretty sure it is original. Picked it up at a swap meet years ago. The one on the right is my original 4 speed that has been rechromed. Can you see the difference in the notches??? Back to the thread that started this. The gate on the bike on ebay is not correct! Sorry about the exploded site. Ya'll made me do it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

So...help me out here. What is the difference between yours and the one on ebay? I can see there is a darkened area around the shift ball where it looks as if it may be notched but I am thinking it is shadow effect and not a notch since the lighter color of the tanks does not show.

My 49 EL was a barn find where it had sat in deplorable conditions for over 30 years. Very crusty parts and gears for both 3spd/reverse and 4 speed came with it. I am assuming it was probably a 4 speed since she has the OEM tubes and hydra-glide front end. Have both shift gates as well and they look like yours but my 3 speed has more crust...

I was going to go with the 4 speed until I found a very complete 49 sidecar frame at a very good price. Won't be a powerful bike by any means but should hopefully be a cool piece to ride.
1964 pan

Post by 1964 pan »

I emailed the seller. He replied that it has a 3 speed transmission with reverse. And, was original. If so, the shifter gate is correct. I did not know that 1964 FLs came with a 3 speed with reverse. Ya learn something new every day.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”