Won't consistently DOWNSHIFT into gear (?)

1950Bobber

Won't consistently DOWNSHIFT into gear (?)

Post by 1950Bobber »

My 1950 FLH has started to give me some trouble. Up shifting is NEVER a problem, but downshifting won't always let me go go further downshift than 3rd gear.

Now if I hand it, I can get first & second gear. I must first go all the way up to 4th THEN push it into each downshifted gear to get it to first gear! Shift rod seems OK.

Any ideas before I open the tranny mounted rachet?

Thanks guys.......

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

It could be so many things... the only way to fix it is to take it apart and see what's going on. When I tore mine down a couple years ago I found that the shaft that the shifter forks slide on was broke.

http://www.57panhead.com/images/Transmi ... kShaft.jpg

These old four speeds are pretty simple mechanical devices but there's just no way to tell what's going on inside until you open it up.
1950Bobber

Tranny shifting problem

Post by 1950Bobber »

Thanks Dave...I was hoping it was the rachet mechanism but it doesn't seem my dilemna has generated enough opinions where I was hoping experienced members responded. I DO thank you for taking the time to help.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

you could pull the top off and see if the bushings in the drum are shot
but you still have to pull the top to see inside, pull the trans and do a look see
it might be nothing, worn bushings,cheap fix....
or it may be a bigger problem like a worn counter shaft and gear cluster, big $$$

been here my self.....

mbskeam
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Foot shift ? Splines on the shaft or plain smooth clamp on type ?If clutch is adj. properly and not dragging some how , remove the top of the tranny and inspect as said in the posts above , ya gotta look in there and see whats up any way.Bent or loose shifting forks , maybe?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

I agree with Fourtgear. Broken shiter fork. Something is not allowing the shifter clutch to move freely on the shaft. Now stop bsing around and yank the box. Its a tweanty minute job if ya put your mind to it. Bob

“Any man that forsakes freedom for security deserves neither.”
1 800 NRA JOIN
1950Bobber

Tranny shift issue!

Post by 1950Bobber »

Thanks all....I'll follow that advice....need to look in the tranny anyhow!

Jim

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”