1951 FL gearbox: 5 small ball bearing fell out

Grant

1951 FL gearbox: 5 small ball bearing fell out

Post by Grant »

Buddy called over yesterday on his Pan to go for a ride, I was checking oil levels on my ol heap When I convinced him to do do the same, We decided to change his G/Box oil when we drain the oil from the drain hole 5 small ball bearing fell out""" Neat hey this pan was riding and shifting fine ? Go Fiqure
Box is a stock 4 speed been in the bike for about 5 years trusty service. Now its out on my bench waiting for me to take a look. Got a book on this coming, till them any ideas

Thanks inadvance Grant
kell

Re: 1951 FL gearbox

Post by kell »

Small? The ball bearing in a 4 speed is not small. And if the balls fell out you would know it, bigtime. That bearing supports the right end of the mainshaft.
The other three bearings all have needles in them.
I can't remember any other ball bearings -- maybe the speedo connection? I don't have one.
I would speculate somebody careless got junk in the tranny once upon a time. Since you have the tranny out already, go ahead and take the top off. If there's more junk inside you can get it out so it won't get in the gears. I don't think you will have to do any work on that tranny, though.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
How big are your balls. ball bearings that is. ;) pull the kicker cover and look at the bearing in there it may have shields on it , you can pop the shield off if you need to see in side.
you can get this bearing at the local bearing house it will be 1/2 the cost that you will find it for at the shops.
mbskeam
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

I am in the process of rebuilding my 4 speed and, trust me, there are NO ball bearings in there that would fit thru the drain plug hole.

I think Kell might be on the right track - check the speedo pickup.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Pulled the kicker cover off and found that the Clutch pushrod bearing had lost its retainer and spread the balls out , Some of these puppies have made there way through the small oil hole in the side case and into the bottom of the box"" Ugly

Now its off with the top cover and try and fish out any remaining balls, I have about 18 so far

Thanks for the great help guys

Regards Gruntis

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”