Generator: where to get new or rebuilt

Hummbusa

Generator: where to get new or rebuilt

Post by Hummbusa »

My 3 brush seems to be going bad I took it to my local (old timer) electric shop and they put it up on their machine and said it was bad. I had cleaned it out really well before taking it there. I left it for a few days while they looked at it...then they said they couldn't fix it. What would you suggest to do. I am torn between going 12volt or replacing the 6 volt (which would be so much easier for me!! Pros and cons and where to send to be rebuilt or where to buy and how much $$$ you are guessing
Thanks
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Generator: where to get new or rebuilt

Post by Cotten »

Although more convenient, going 12V is often a $300 investment that actually only depreciates an original machine.

Your manual has some quick diagnostics, and most vintage parts distributors offer replacement hardware. You would never regret it if you fixed it yourself!

I suggest getting a KickStart catalog (616-245-8991), as not only are the parts all there, there is also a vintage instruction for converting the three-brush to a more road-able two-brush configuration, requiring only a regulator.

Although the catalog is for pre-'47 machines, much of the hardware suits Pans.
kickstart
Inactive member
Bikes: 1957 pan
99 flht
96+91 SOFTAIL

Post by kickstart »

Don't go 12 v. Machine is less original, and do you really want to do incorrect fitting battery, and change your coil, all lights, etc.

I suggest you contact Dale Cashman, who is an expert is all vintage HD gens. 757 497 0131 He is in Virginia and can help you for sure
Hummbusa

Post by Hummbusa »

Thanks for the help guys. Talked to Dale last night shipped it off today..Can't wait to get her running again. Thanks again!

Return to “Generator”