Hard shifting: trouble getting the bike into neutral

xnoahx

Hard shifting: trouble getting the bike into neutral

Post by xnoahx »

I'm not sure if this is normal operation or if there is something I need to adjust but at a stop with the engine running I have a lot of trouble getting the bike into neutral. It takes a lot of force and i will usually skip right past it into second. Is this normal for old bikes or can this be fixed?
Also, I noticed today that after a 30 minute ride on the highway I was having a lot of trouble shifting up or down. Seemed like the shifter just wouldnt want to move. I took a look at my clutch the other day and it didnt look too worn out and I have it adjusted properly. I can roll the bike with the clutch pulled and the bike in gear.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Hard shifting

Post by caschnd1 »

Belt or chain drive primary? Sounds like your clutch is dragging a bit. Could be adjustment or maybe your clutch basket is walking out when you disengage the clutch. Lots of discussions on hear about the "Ram Jett Retainer" and the "Clutch Tamer". Both are solutions for the clutch basket walking out that work very well. Do some searching through previous threads. You won't have to go far back. This is a common discussion item.

-Craig
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

It has a chain primary, I'll try searching those topics.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

xnoahx
Is your primary chain too tight? If chain too tight it will sometimes interfere with shifting. You said you can move bike with clutch engaged and in gear , but was that with motor running or off?

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”