Fluid level transmission

panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Fluid level transmission

Post by panwars »

Description: How full do you fill your trans?

How full do you fill your trans? Simple eh? I have been filling to the bottom thread of the fill hole with bike dead level. In a few hundred miles it is down a half inch or more. It leaks out the release rod seal I believe as I get more oil out of the primary for a while just after filling. I run kevlar clutch discs so oil is not an issue YET! (I love them!!!) I have thought about leaving it low and seeing if it stabilizes or continues to drop. Don't want to run it too low and don't know where that point is. I am sure some of you do though so give me your thoughts and expertise please. Thanks.

Scott
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Fluid level

Post by mbskeam »

hey whats up?.....

I use to run it that way, and it always would go down about the same amount.
then one day I got out a measuring cup, drained it and put in 1-1/2 pints. and it was hard to believe it was about 1/2" below the fill hole. and the level stays there now.

mbskeam
panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Thanks mike.
I kinda figured that's where I was headed.
I have been tweekin the bike getting ready for our polar bear ride. We all meet at 9:00 A.M. new years day and ride (no matter what the weather, unless snow or bad ice) all around the Island (only about 40/45 miles). This will be my third year. There is usually about 15 to 20 of us. I am the only pan. Sometimes the only Harley, jeesh! Somebody has to show on an old bike in old leathers!
I just put in one of those quickstart 2000 electric pickup (point replacement) ignitions. So far so good. points are in a bag under the seat. Hope I never need them. I did turn the switch on once and get a half a revolution puff out of the engine. That was a little freaky. I have had cars do that to me.
Have a good and safe new year man and will see ya this summer for sure. Thanks again. Scott
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

panwars
I changed mine to the newer heavy duty kicker cover and it has the threaded plug for level of fill and its about have way down the cover ( little less) . Back when , I used to stick my finger into the hole and if I had oil on the tip of my finger it would be OK. I like the scientific way much better.
panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Thanks, fourthgear.

I run the heavy duty cover on a STD case. I thought the fill holes (old and new) looked to be at about the same altitude. Am I wrong? I am still going to run it a little low and see if it holds there for a while. I can reach it with a finger, that works for me!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”