Generator wiring

49txpan

Generator wiring

Post by 49txpan »

I am wondering if anyone would be so kind to help me with my 2 brush, 12v gen wiring. I have rebuilt it and my old manual is very hard to make out.

I have replaced the field coils with new ones. Both look identical with no color markings as to shunt or regulating.

One field coil wire to the "switch" post and one field coil wire to the "relay" post right? The question is which post does the short jumper wire connect to and which field coil?

Thanks
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Generator wiring

Post by fourthgear »

taxpan
I think you have two brush and three brush gens mixed together, I just went thru this with mine because the term. on the gen. were not marked . I don't have a manual with me and I don't trust my old memory any more but your two brush gen has "A" marked for Armature and "F" for field and If you look at a manual , it will show how it is wired, you have to look at the photo with the end cap removed for the two brush gen., it will show how the wires are hooked up from that end view and it is how I found what was the "F" and which was the "A". When I get home tonight if no one has answered you question I will give it a shot with manual in hand.
49txpan

Post by 49txpan »

Thanks. I think I know which are A and F from the manual but one of the terminations has an extra wire from a brush to the A or F terminal. When I took mine apart that wire was broke. I think if looking at it from the end the short jump wire goes from the left terminal to a brush. I am thinking it does not matter which brush. And I think you are right in that it is a mixed generator.
kell

Post by kell »

This drawing shows the electrical connections in a two-brush generator.

If you look at the plate the brushes are mounted on, one brush assembly
is grounded and the other brush assembly has an insulator under it.
This insulated brush has a wire connecting it to the "A" terminal,
and the field coils connect to the same terminal.
The wire from the other end of the field coils goes to the "F" terminal.
49txpan

Post by 49txpan »

Thanks!

Return to “Generator”