Repro 1 piece kicker shaft

Kuda
Bikes: *

Repro 1 piece kicker shaft

Post by Kuda »

Description: Trying to get a repro one piece kicker shaft installed in an original '50 kicker cover

Trying to get a repro one piece kicker shaft installed in an original '50 kicker cover. New bushings installed, every thing lines up except that with the kicker gear all the way on and tightened, there's still about 3/16" play between the thrust washer and the arm. And, when I mocked it up, the kicker gear will sometimes catch on the starter gear when the pedal comes back up (from being too far into the cover). What's the solution? Use a thicker thrust washer? Grind out some of the kicker gear so it fits further down the arm? Any other ideas? Thanks,

-Kuda
'49 FL
58Bobber
Inactive member
Bikes: '58 FLH

Re: Repro 1 piece kicker shaft

Post by 58Bobber »

Heard alot of negative comments on early Pan aftermarket kickers...One gent wrote he threw his away it was so useless! Sorry to hear you're having problems..I installed a vintage OEM kicker arm two weeks ago...great fit, works well....ADVICE...buy an OEM unit on Ebay or from any of the OEM dealers that were just provided to us by our members... you'll pay very reasonable money....this is my solution for most if not all Pan vintage parts...GO OEM!!!
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Post by Rammy »

I installed a new one piece kicker in my 51 last year it was a perfect fit and works great. maybe send it back and try another one. ???50Bobber and Rammy...
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

50Bobber: First off, I agree with you 100% on the original stuff, but finding an OEM kicker is a tough one. Most are shot to hell already. Plus, I spent 3 hours with an adjustable reamer getting this one sized to the new bushings and I have NO interest in starting all over again with a new kicker, if I can avoid it...

Rammy: Picked it up at the AMCA in Oley, PA last year, no way to return it.

Update: Seems like it's not hitting where I thought it was. I can see some light scraping marks on the front of the kick bumper plate, but not enough (I think) to positively identify what's binding up. When I rotate the kicker pedal, it rolls down just fine, but coming back up *sometimes* it seems to catch at a little above TDC, say around 10 o'clock. By pushing it down again a bit and letting it snap back I can get it to return fully. Sometimes it returns fine all by itself. I'm starting to get tempted to just let it fly and see what happens...

-Kuda
'49 FL (cranky bastard)
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Post by Rammy »

when I put my new arm in it did the same thing. I reemed the bushings to fit nice and when I put the kick cover on the arm didn`t want to return allthe way, I think just a little flex on the cover as it is tourqued down made it do that. I think they had more slop in them when new. After a while it is fine ........Thanks Rammy...
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

That's what I wanted to hear! :-) But just in case, I picked up a used OEM one piece kicker. If I have to use it I'm sure I'll have to replace and re-ream the bushings, but at least I've got an option now just in case...

-Kuda
58Bobber
Inactive member
Bikes: '58 FLH

Post by 58Bobber »

Glad to see you went OEM...smart move!
jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”