Gearing for speed

53rigidrider
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Gearing for speed

Post by 53rigidrider »

Okay, I've looked in the "search" block for anything that would link me to previous threads on this subject, so nobody yell at me!
I'm getting ready to pull me inner primary to;
1. Replace my tranny seal.
2. To install my JOCKEY SHIFT.

But, I'm thinking of gearing up the scoot so I can survive the 70-80mph on the freeway the "law-abiding" citizens seem to want to go nowadays.
I'm not sure what performance it means between the 26 tooth tranny gear, or the 28 tooth gear.

Which would more closely fit my requirement for top end speed?

Anyone with experience with this please let me know pro/cons of my latest idea.
I won't be doing this until my guru finishes up a couple of rebuilds taking up space in his shop in about a week.

Thanks in advance! ;)
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Re: Gearing for speed

Post by King »

Hi Rigid

Since my new commute requires about 10 miles of interstate I have gone to a 25 tooth motor sprocket and 25 tooth tranny sproket. At about 2800 rpm I am keeping up with at least the 70 mph crowd.

I don't know about a 28 tooth tranny sprocket. That would sure do the trick but would it fit?? My 25 tooth is about as large as I can go without sawing into somthing with the chain.

Jack posted a link to a great "calculator" that will give rpm's and speeds at various sprocket combinations.

Good rides,

King
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

A 26 tooth fit on my tranny, but I plan on switching to o-ring chain eventually, and I don't think it will then.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

57Stroker -

Try this:

Wheel Speed Calculator v1.0 https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/know ... ticle?k=76

Jack
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

I ran a 26 tooth and didn't like it. Of course it was good for highways, but that kind of riding ain't for me. I would have preferred a 25 tooth, but I went to 24 instead. Most of my riding is below 55 mph. I don't know if a 28 will fit. I don't think you'd like it either. I can't imagine how much you'd have to slip the clutch for that one.
Try a 26 and see what you think.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Jack
Thanks for re-posting the calculator I had lost mine. This one I will put safely in the Harley File.

Sidecar
It's all in what your primary riding is. For me it's open road mostly so I'm gearing tall. But, like you mentioned, in town I have to do a lot of slipping. Positive side is I can make it out of an intersection before I have to shift to 2nd. In another life when I did almost exclusively town riding I was happy with 23 tooth motor and 22 tooth tranny. That combo gave the old girl a lot of dig.

King

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”