Rotating kickstart

What would cause a tranny to want to rotate the kicker arm down?

haggis
Bikes: *

Rotating kickstart

Post by haggis »

och aye the noo!
Hope everyone is aok and ready for a new season.
Been out of circulation for a wee while...hmmm!
Question. what would cause a tranny to want to rotate the kicker arm down? Haggis
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Rotating kickstart

Post by caschnd1 »

Haggis,

Good to hear from you after the winter season! I've never had this happen to me but I've seen the exact problem you describe. The fix in this case was to hone the bushing on the rachet gear under the kicker cover. If the brass bushing is a little too tight the gear will start to hangup on the shaft and it will flip the kicker back like you are kickstarting it. Worse yet, it can cease up and gall the shaft. The bushing I'm talking about is item #42 in this exploded view of the panhead transmission kicker assembly.

Good luck!

-Craig
haggis

Post by haggis »

Caschnd1 and Panhead.
Thanks guys will take a look at that later today....hope its just needing reaming!
Can always rely on good info here!.
Hope spring is being good to you. cant wait to get rolling! Haggis
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

Apr 18, 2006, 4:43am, caschnd1 wrote:
Haggis,

Good to hear from you after the winter season! I've never had this happen to me but I've seen the exact problem you describe. The fix in this case was to hone the bushing on the rachet gear under the kicker cover. If the brass bushing is a little too tight the gear will start to hangup on the shaft and it will flip the kicker back like you are kickstarting it. Worse yet, it can cease up and gall the shaft.
<snip>
-Craig
I think you're right on Craig. I had this happen to me after I rebuilt my tranny. The bushing must have been too tight and after I took it out for the first ride after the rebuild I noticed that the kicker pedal was all ground down - as if it had been dragging on the road. Then I found out that the kicker would not engage when I tried to start it. Come to find out the bushing had seized on the shaft and was spinning inside the ratchet. When it seized it must have rotated the kicker down and it hit the road surface. Fortunately, I was able to get the bushing off the shaft and there was no damage to the shaft.
haggis

Post by haggis »

57Pan,
I knew I had heard of someone having this trouble a while back, but couldn't find the post.
Whats bugging me is this is not a brand new tranny. the Purple Bastard's been on a lift for the winter. Finally got round to replacing fluids ,oil filter etc. rotated the back tire to lube the chain ..and there goes the kicker heading south! Will have at it tonight.
Question,...the Service Manual calls for a Starter Clutch puller#95650-42. This isn't anything whacky is it? a regular 2 finger puller will do right?
Nice to talk to you guys again, Haggis.
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

Apr 18, 2006, 10:27pm, haggis wrote:

Question,...the Service Manual calls for a Starter Clutch puller#95650-42. This isn't anything whacky is it? a regular 2 finger puller will do right?'
With care, yes. I used a 4" 2 finger puller and it took a couple of tries (it was REALLY on there) but it worked without damage. But take it slow and careful...

-Kuda (I'll have a nip of Lagavulin tonight for good luck for ya...)
'49 FL
haggis

Post by haggis »

Kuda.
I'll have a couple of drams of Balvenie too! will get at it on thursday and let you know.
May the wind at your back be your own...Haggis

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”