Polarizing generator

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Polarizing generator

Post by fourthgear »

Description: If you are wondering if you have to polarize the generator with a electronic voltage regulator, I did an experiment last week and did not even know it .

If you are wondering if you have to polarize the generator with a electronic voltage regulator , I did an experiment last week and didn't even know it . I had my horn hooked up so it had power even with ign. off ( not a good thing )and wanted to change it to have power when lights on only ( here in the sunshine state you have to run with lights on ) and I disconnected the neg. ( - ) ground wire twice and did not polarize gen. after wards and its still charging , how about that and it was the second time last week that I isolated the batt. with out polarizing.
I have the volt pak type voltage reg. for a gen. at least thats what it says on it. After my ride yesterday ( I run with halogen head light on high) and when I checked my voltage , I was @ 12.91Vdc , thats on the high side but with in limits. Any one else do this by accident or on purpose to see if theres will do the same?
haggis
Bikes: *

Re: Polarizing generator

Post by haggis »

Fourthgear,
I didn't think It was neccesary to polarize a Gen with an electronic regulator.....infact I think It can have adverse effects!(what's that smell!..........)
If your getting almost 13 volts at the battery with the motor running I think your doing OK! Haggis.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

haggis
Ya that be good voltage all right , I have a 10 A . AGM batt. (Advanced Glass Mat ,batt.) Its been talked about not having to polarize with a elect. reg. but I never did it or heard that anyone confirmed it . Now I wounder if you disconnect the voltage reg. if you will need to polarize?
haggis

Post by haggis »

Fourthgear,
I always pull the battery over the winter,cause thet're sooo frickin long up here!I leave the battery on the tricklecharger and just slap it back in spring.Running Cycle Electric gen with end mount reg.Never polarized works fine. Good question about disconnecting the reg thou, . I'm thinking that the battery voltage tells the reg whats what. Kell will know the nitty gritty!. Haggis.
vintagehd

Post by vintagehd »

From experience...when you disconnect the reg or volt reg from the motorcycle you need to polarize...haggis I too am running the cycle electric gen and end cap volt reg and love it...but in the main installation instructions it states that after installation is complete and BEFORE you start the motorcycle to briefly spark the "B" stud to the "a" stud to polarize them...it states to let the regulator know to charge on a possitive charge...that means nothing to me...as I am electricly challanged... but the fact the people that made it said to do it...I did...my opinion...V.
haggis

Post by haggis »

Vintagehd.
I am very happy with the Gen too. I had been looking for a Chrome body one before I got this one (black).....but it was not to be....and that crappy old chrome cover went in the parts bin too!.
Must have missed those directions when I installed it( bad at directions...like."turn around and place your hands on the hood sir"...(-:
Seems to charge Ok.though...Haggis
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

AGM= Absorbant Glass Mat
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Yep thats it 108. My memory is like a bowl full of jelly or something like that.
haggis

Post by haggis »

Vintagehd,
had a little look at my Gen last night while I was working on the Tranny.......
I have two terminals..1 for Battery and 1 for idiot light...the lamp terminal switches a ground to lamp when charging...ah yes its all coming back now..... I dont think flashing these is a good idea. Haggis
vintagehd

Post by vintagehd »

Sorry I have 3...field, armature, and battery on the regulator...of course I am running a 6V system...and you are probably running 12 right...V. (Oh to be in Scotland right now!)
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Haggis& vintagehd
I also have three and I have the voltpak type regulator. I might be testing that disconnecting voltage reg. to see if it needs polarizing because I think my Gen. gasket is leaking, so it might be coming off this weekend. I'll let ya all know how it goes . Curiosity is a strange thing. My reg. is mounted to the back of Gen. on a bracket, tucks in real nice in there and gets all the fresh air it wants.
haggis

Post by haggis »

Vintage and Fourth..
Aha!..yep.I'm running the 12volt version...I guess its a bit different eh? So far it has been no trouble..lets hope it stays that way...still working on the kicker problem think I might have it licked!
Used to live outside Charlottesville in Va. loved that ride over to W Va Rt 33 through Elkton and across the parkway,.. beautiful!
Miss Scotland now and again.....left a lot of family back there.
Haggis.
vintagehd

Post by vintagehd »

You speak of Elkins...go there often...1 hour and 15 minutes west...dad was from Scotland...I have not been there yet...godd luck with kicker...V.
Kuda

Post by Kuda »

Cycle Electric 12v generators with built in generators, Model numbers 5000 and 5000L (low voltage for small battery in oil tank) do NOT need to be polorized, according to the instruction sheet I have...

Oh, and I run 33 all the time, love that road...

-Kuda (Silver Spring, MD here)
'49 FL
vintagehd

Post by vintagehd »

I'm running a 6V system and believe me they need polarized...went through 2 regulators before I believed it...my cycle electric instructions specifically state to "spark" the "B" to the "A" post...like I said it make no never mind to me as I am electricly challanged...I learned to ride on Rt. 33...very interesting at times...especially in southern WV...Elkins to MD ride is amazing in September...V.

Return to “Generator”