Generator Model 58 for 12V

cereiter

Generator Model 58 for 12V

Post by cereiter »

Description: I need some help with the electrical system on my 60 FL.

I need some help with the electrical system on my 60 FL. The previous owner had an alternator/retifier on the bike and we agreed that I wanted the original generator. This came in a box with the regulator. Other than that the bike is set up for 12vdc. How do I check and/or setup this old model 58 generator to 12vdc or do I need to find a model 65A generator?

Any links to technical info would be appreciated.

CER
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Generator Model 58

Post by Cotten »

If exact outward appearance is critical to you, then a swap of field coils and armature is an option. This would make the equivalent of a Model 65 (not 65a; reversed brush polarity).

But why spend to depreciate the vintage hardware? The convenient Model 65a is nearly identical (Only switched terminals, and the endcap has no GITZ oiler: You could always swap the endcaps!)

The question is: Are you attempting to restore the machine to "correct"? In which case, you shall want to maintain the Model 58 as 6v. We assume the regulator in the box was a Delco-style mechanical unit, with bracket?
cereiter

Post by cereiter »

I would like to use this generator and keep as original as possible but I would also like to keep the 12vdc system. From what I understand this model 58 can only be used as 6vdc. If I need to upgrade what is the best? My wife will be riding this bike and it needs to be dependable transportation.
CER
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

As I posted, installing 12v fields and armature would do it. Dimensions are nearly identical.

The 12v mechanical regulator is larger, of course. If you really want stock appearance, you might keep the 6v regulator in place as a dummy, and hide a solidstate 12v regulator under the front motor mount. (But it certainly won't fool an AMCA judge.)

Return to “Generator”