VW generator

kell

VW generator

Post by kell »

Was interested in putting a vw generator on my bike (1952 FL). Searches on Google turned up mentions (including one page with Ente's name on it) but no specific information like which model/year vw, how to adapt it etc.
Have already ordered parts to rebuild stock 12 v generator but am concerned it won't be adequate, because the generator does produce current presently but just won't keep up with the draw. I have an electronic ignition running 3 ohm coils (single fire) at about 130 degrees of (breaker) dwell. That's four amps at a duty cycle of about 70%. It can keep up with that only on highway trips, with constant full output.
So I can modify the ignition to reduce the dwell angle (that's not a problem, since I built it myself), but then I'll still have the problem of nighttime city riding. Makes much more sense to get a real charging system. And I am not willing to buy an aftermarket alternator like the one I saw in J&P for over $400. VW generators are less than 100 bucks.
So please, someone point me in the right direction.
Ente

Re: VW generator

Post by Ente »

Hi Kell, I not a VW-generator-expert but I THINK that all the DC's of VW has the same size and fittings. The beetle was'nt famous (like H-D) for the evolution. The facts you find on my page is a direct copy from 'What fits what' and there they mention a adaptor-plate from S.I.E Choppers in San Carlos, CA. Maybe it's not a big deel to make one, but it would have been nice to see one IRL. I am going the VW-way also when I have burn out my Taiwan-copy. Both for the reliable and the extra watts. Here in the north (i.e. S.O. of Sweden) the dark evenings are already here, so a main-beam with 100W bulb would be lovely. Hmm not so much help Kell, but at least you know...... you are not alone in the dark....
kell

Post by kell »

Looked for "what fits what".
Is this some document that everybody knows about?
Ente

Post by Ente »

Hi Kell..
Sort of..
It's 'the book of the books' regarding as is says:
'What fits what'... I have heard that it's not printed anymore, but a friend told me that it still can be ordered from: http://www.motorcyclebooks.com/whatfitwhato.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This book is necessary when you look for parts interchangeability...
kell

Post by kell »

Post by kell on Aug 14, 2003, 2:39am

I just ordered it. Now we're cooking with gas.
Ente

Post by Ente »

I found a 'minor' error in the book by the way, or chance to misconstrue 2 pictures. It is the part showing the changes in oil-return channels through the barrels into the case. The pictures are showing (from left to right) (page 29+30) Late and Early case/cylinder, but the text under says 'Early vs. Late' -style. If you read (and and i guess that we all do) the explaining text it will make it clear.
For you who had read it: am I wrong or am I wrong ?
hd74

Post by hd74 »

Kell:
I changed to a 6volt VW generator and Bosch regulator system on a 52 Panhead 20+ years ago. Very reliable! I am doing a ground up rebuild and will change the 6volt to a 12 volt cycle electric system.

All-in-all this VW system is flawless-when many of my friends had electrical problems with 2 brush and 3 brush systems, my system just kept pumping out the juice. The only reason I am changing is it is getting harder to get the 6 volt battery and they are quite expensive.

hd_74
Ente

Post by Ente »

>>> hd_74
pls give us more details. What kind of modification or sort of adaptor you will need.
brgds
Ente
kell

Post by kell »

I got the book. Published in the 1980's and even then the adaptor plate for the vw generator was listed "no longer available". So we could use some info, hd74.
Hoping that the vw unit has a shaft that you can fit the regular Harley gear onto, and that it just needs a simple adapter plate for accurate positioning. Could fab something like that.
Also, it would be nice to use an alternator. But they have a bigger diameter than the generators, might not fit.
Ente

Post by Ente »

....more info.
I have read that also the Bosch-generator from Opel Kadett (or Vauxhall) will fit (or is the same) and can be used as a replacement (after minor modification) on Indian Chief too. The year you (we) will be looking for is 66-72, -65 was 6V and 73- was the alternator. The late years got roller bearing and the earlier slide bearing.
Output should read 25-30A.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I've seen one with a Ford Transit van generator as well. Might have been 12 V though...
hd74

Post by hd74 »

Ente:
Been real busy so excuse the delay in replying directly to you. I picked up a 6volt VW (beetle) generator at a wrecking yard. The adapter kit was from S.I.E. I remember the generator had a shaft at both ends as the VW engine ran a pulley on both ends. I cut the one end off, manufactured a cap out of an acetylene bottle cap put the bosch regulator on and away we go. I still have the instruction sheet from S.I.E.

hd74
Ente

Post by Ente »

Hi hd74.
Nice to hear from you in this issue. Look like a nice way to go (independent of 6/12V-choice) I think that a couple om members here beside me is interested as well (Kell anyhow)
Have you any possibility to put the instruction sheet in a scanner and mail it to me (ente@home.se) and I will put it on my server and make a link to it under this Subject ? I guess the sheet also contain some photo of the adaptor-plate as well.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Ente,

Just checked those pages and you are right - they are pictured in the wrong order - should really read "late vs early" for clarity.
For $5 or so though, it seems like a reasonable effort as a rough and ready guide as to what's possible and what's not.
Freaks
Bikes: 6

Post by Freaks »

hd74 wrote: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:13 am Ente:
I still have the instruction sheet from S.I.E.

hd74
We have this set up on an old 45 chopper we picked up. Do you have a scan of the instructions?

Thank you

Return to “Generator”