Electric start on 1950 FL

hd74

Electric start on 1950 FL

Post by hd74 »

I am wondering if I can change my 50 fl into an flb getting older, and that electric start is looking like what I might need for my bad leg
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Electric start on 1950 FL

Post by 59pan »

RevTech makes a kit for about $1000 as I remember and lets you keep your original outer primary. I am thinking about doing my bike. Check the posts on this a few months ago.
Revtech has a web site that you can see how the thing works. Pretty slick.
Good luck.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

"59"
Do you have the link for RevTech. All I get is jobbers and dealers when I do a search. Thanks

hd74
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 59pan »

HD74
I lie like a rug!
It is not Revtech. Try http://www.techcycle.com
Good luck and let me know if you decide to get one.
59pan
fresnopan

Post by fresnopan »

I installed the techcycle electric start when first came out in my 62. Then it was designed to fit in a rigid frame, where mine is a swing. Had some mods to make work/fit, from hogging mounts to manufacturing my own clutch arm for mousetrap/rocker clutch (had one switched to other). Nice kit, just be prepared for $$$$ and mods.
Benefit, she always starts now.........
hd74

Post by hd74 »

Ya I found this site! Looks like a good kit. What kind of modifications are needed? Maybe we administrator for this board can negotiate a deal for a bunch of us???

hd74
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I can give it a try.....
fresnopan

Post by fresnopan »

Mods. Need their belt system. They take a Phase IV Primo drive and machine/attach their ring gear to it. You also cut out a large section of the tin inner so you for clearance of rear hub and gear to starter gear clearance on top (basically inner tin assembles after rear hub is on. (my old belt drive was not able to make the upgrade.)
Mine being a swing arm, I had to have about 2 inches relived to clear swing. The mount mounts to the tranny plate using the two rear holes that mount the plate to the frame. I also had to hog out the starter mount, which secures to the previous mount and provides adjustment, to clear the swing.
You will need an electric start bag, got mine from Paughco. Also need a larger battery than most of kickers run.
They offer a clutch arm, which the rod to mount angle is moved, which I had no luck with theirs and fabbed my own, which works with both Mousetrap and Rocker clutch. The mount reference has to change for the old position of the arm is where the electric leg now resides.
Also refabbed mount of rear starter to tranny, theirs was not to my liking.
Then you have the wiring process. I chose the simple method, 60 AMp tractor weather starter button direct, no relay.
All said and done, when installed it works and no one, even Pan exposed people, readilly notice the cheater.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

fresnopan:
Sounds like you should be making the kit instead of "Tech". Knowing what you no now, could you make the setup? It sounds like the real problem is making the adapter plate to bolt to the rear tranny plate, adding the starter spline and modifying the pans. Any suggestions?
hd74
fresnopan

Post by fresnopan »

Hah... Thought about it, but just don't have the time. Tips. If I were attempting it, keep the cost down and or use standard components, not one up stuff. The bracket from the tranny/frame mount idea is fine but extending start adjustment mount to under oil bag mount would be better. Use readily available Harley starters/Soleniod setup. Use a less expensive belt drive/ring gear setup. The price for the kit was too much given all the modifications that had to be made.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

The reply form TechCycle:

Thank you for your interest in our products applicable to Panheads. We extend a traditional discount to dealers in our industry. We do not discount to the general public. This would be in conflict with the best interests of our dealer network. However, we do extend to your membership the very same courteous and knowledgeable staff assistance that is afforded to our dealer network. We look forward to assisting your group.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

Panhead:
What can I say! Well at least you give your best shot.

Fresnopan:
So you say use easy to come by HD parts. You obviously have given this some thought and if I may I would like to pick your brain. I have a rigid pan with a ratchet lid and mousetrap eliminator and tin primary. I have no problem in fabricating right from the ground up. Would you build a custom inner and outer primary to accomodate a belt drive and the starter? If so what year of starter would you think would work, early, later or one of the new ones? What kind of starter does the kit use? Thanks for your help.

hd74

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”