Generator, at night the voltage goes down

kell

Generator, at night the voltage goes down

Post by kell »

I have a 52 pan (74 ci) with twelve-volt system, two-brush generator. Ignition is a Mallory circuit breaker and two coils of 1.2 ohm each (primaries in series) with a half-ohm ballast resistor, for about three ohms resistance in the primary. My problem: in city driving at night, when I spend a lot of time idling at stop lights with the headlight on, the voltage goes down. Gets to the point the bike even dies. Unless I keep the revs *real high* during the waits or even turn off the headlight. I recently ran a new 12 gauge wire from the generator, obviously with a new crimp connection, and that didn't solve the problem. I bought a big deep cycle battery to replace the dinky battery I've been using, but haven't put it in yet -- anyway that will just be treating the symptom and not the problem, from my viewpoint.
Anybody got any suggestions?
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Generator

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi Kell; i drive my 58 with the same two brush gen, use an original round coil, a dyna semi electronic ignition with automatic distributor and must of all an electronic voltage regulator ("cycle electric" low amp model that bolt at the top of the gen)
My battery is a small 12v 6 amp and dont have to over rev it when switching light on. I had another kind of trouble when using a 5 amp battery: i couldn't use headlight and honk my horn the same time; it killed the ignition.
Check for the charging rate maybe. Do you use this kind of electromagnetic Bosh style regulator ? I had some trouble before I changed for an electronic regulation
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

The problem sounds like the battery has lost its load capacity. The dinky 12n-5.5a-3b batteries are only reliable for a season, even with a low-voltage regulator.

This starts a chain reaction as it demands more of the generator, and will overheat the armature (EXCEPT for the endmount CE units that have a protective feature).

(NEVER try to charge a dead battery by running a bike with a conventional generator and regulator.)

The batteries are cheaper than armatures, so it is prudent to put a new one in every spring.
59pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 59pan »

I bought a Westco acid mat battery and have had no problems since. They cost about $65 and will hold a 90% charge for what seems like forever despite the vibrations and harsh environment.
They have a website that you can order from direct.
Good Luck
kell

Post by kell »

I put the gel cell in. It has a 22 amp hour rating. Should take care of it, if only it holds up to the vibrations.
Dirty D -- riding a big twin in Paris sounds like a ball. I visited Paris for a week about ten years ago. The first street I crossed as a pedestrian was like sprinting across a racetrack. Vas-y!
By the way, which arondissment is the dirty one?
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Gee; ALL arrondissment are DIRTY, no exception. But I sware I do love life. In fact i only go downtown Paris days like today (vacation) as you can ride without too much traffic jam and avoid overheating. I 'm working in the suburb and it's much more easier to drive my scout everyday. I love my country but it's true: people drive crazy !!!

Return to “Generator”