kick arm not returning

Georgia Pan

kick arm not returning

Post by Georgia Pan »

Im sure some of you have come across this problem. the kick arm only returns up to a 10 o'clock position. when it finally starts it will return up to 12 o'clock ,but not until it starts!! I have replaced the crank gear with a new sifton gear and the same issue, when i remove the kicker cover the stop is appox. 1" off the bumper plate. I do not see any marks or scraping where it could be binding on either the new gear or the old one i removed. any help is appreciated thanks...
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

GP!

It sounds as if the kickclutch gear hangs up, and then vibrates fully out of engagement when the mainshaft spins.

Often the throwout pawl that is riveted to the kickshaft gear will show teethmarks that can cause the arm to hang up, particularly if the kickshaft bushings are worn. Your new gear may have a pawl of questionable conformity (the Sifton brandname is now muddied), and any wobble in the shaft would add to 'cocking' the kickclutch gear upon the shaft.

The kickclutch gear on the mainshaft (which the pawl disengages) must have a very loose bushing fit. Three to five thou of clearance is minimum for it to slide smoothly upon the shaft.

The bushings "break in" very quickly, so please change your oil accordingly.

....Cotten
georgia pan

kick arm

Post by georgia pan »

Thank you for your reply i will replace the ratchet side also maybe that will do it . thanks again....

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”