5 speed, electric start in a 4 speed frame

bibs
Inactive member

5 speed, electric start in a 4 speed frame

Post by bibs »

Description: Has anyone ever done this?

The subject came up at a clubhouse meeting the other night about putting a 5 speed with one of Fab Kevins tranny mounting plates on a stock 4 speed rigid frame.
Has anyone ever done this? If so what type belt drive(primo?)didja use.....and it would have to be chain drive from the trans to the back wheel.

Any info or sharing of war stories about doing this set-up wud be greatly appreciated!!!! ;D

Post by bibs on May 28, 2007, 1:48am

Ok ....lemme try this again.Has anyone ever heard of or put a late model 5 speed trans in their rigid frame pan? Be it after market frame or stock rigid frame.The trans mounting plate would be an after market unit because of the different bolt pattern.The clutch assembly would,in this case be off an EVO or late model set-up typically used on EVO motored bikes.The stock oil tank probobly would have to go in favor of a shorter one and the battery would have to be up graded to about 350 CCA.
I think this is do able.....what'll yall think?

Post by bibs on May 28, 2007, 6:10pm

Them 5 in a 4 jobs are kinda pricey aint they?.....um thinkin about the electric start....kinda like 2 for 1 as far as upgrades go....My buddy has a cherry 5 speed he said he'd part ways for me, for 3 bills!!
It's a modified pan Guys.....if it was a REAL panhead made of all HD parts I wudnt dream of molest'n 'er!!
Could anyone else comment?

Post by panacea on May 28, 2007, 11:48pm

Bibs, Hey don't get me wrong,I like my five speed bikes as much as the next guy, but there is something about a pan ( at least the ones i've had) they take you to a different place ( not trying to get all spiritual)It's like the difference between an old wooden rollercoaster and one of those corkscrew jobs. But anything is possible, where there's a will there's a way!

Post by bibs on May 30, 2007, 12:27am

Brother....um glad ya responded to the last post I put up......'cause I've got to tell ya that after a few sleepless nites.....I came to the same conclusion....piss on that 5 speed.I'm lookin at other alternatives....close ratio gears and possibly a different type of lectric foot.....the type of which I've been schemin about for some time now......of my own design.....the 5 speed offers more flexability but where does it end......when does a pan stop bein one.She's still looking like one even if she aint a factory original.....I got more issues to work out,I'll let yall know where I end up.
Omarine
Bikes: '49 FL project

Re: 5 speed, electric start in a 4 speed frame

Post by Omarine »

What's up fellas-

I see this is a very old thread-- on the subject of 5 speeds--- I dont want to re-invent an age old concept but wouldnt it be cool if you could have a 4 speed-like tranny BUT have the .86:1 overdrive as the 5th gear instead of 6 gears?

Is it possible to use a 5 into 4 speed case and then press 4 speed gears onto the cluster and when you get to 5th gear, put one of those overdrive gears in its place?

then use the pig snout kicker cover and the panhead short mainshaft, and you've got yourself a 4 speed with an overdrive--

This revelation came to me an a dream...haha j/k...was wondering if that's even remotely possible -- donr think anyone is really into spending over $3k on a 6 speed BAKER...or deviating that much from OEM for that matter,,,,just curious..

thanks!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”