V-Twin Mfq 4 Spd

Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

V-Twin Mfq 4 Spd

Post by Eric S »

Hello
About 4 years ago I built a 50 Pan using some original and repo parts. One of the repo items was a V-Twin 17-0000 handshift transmission. This was very hard to shift when new and although I don't have
time to ride much it has not gotten an easier. I have replaced 2 tank levers from bending them and it seems that every time I do ride by the time I reach the main highway as I live in a rural area I have
lost the adjustment and usually end up without 4th gear from bending the lever. The clutch adjustment is good and also the primary chain is within specs. I know these transmissions like most all of
the vendors products are problematic. I would like to ride more often but I am really frustrated with this issue. Should I look for an original transmission? or attempt to have someone try and repair this
one? Is there any thing that I could possibly do myself? Any one here have any experience with this particular issue with these transmissions?...What should I expect to pay for an original unit ready
to bolt in....Thank You and Thanks to all for the past help on this forum.....Eric
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Re: V-Twin Mfq 4 Spd

Post by Scrap »

I have heard that Baker produces a good transmission. I can't speak from experience but here is a link to their website. I hope money is not a problem. The list price is $3000.00. Perhaps you can take your V-Twin apart and see what can be causing the trouble. Remember, if you remove all the steel and bushings from the the aluminum case, you will get more at the scrap yard for the clean cast aluminum...About $.35/lb. The steel will only bring you about $.05/lb.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/collections/ ... 4159175555
Little Stan
Bikes: 1958 FL 1997FXD

Post by Little Stan »

Eric:

Is your shift linkage free? Undo it from the transmission and make sure it has no binds. Check your "detent" plunger. You should be able to remove it while the transmission is in the frame. Check and make sure the detent plunger and spring are working - its also adjustable. If none of the above free up anything then its time to remove the transmission. Check the shifter forks, are they free to move along the shaft? Check the shifter fork bushings, how do they fit against the shifter drum? Are the two gears on the shifter arm and drum itself too tight in their mesh? A little grinding with a cut-off wheel could remedy it.

I built up a transmission for a local shop once, and when I put the top on it was impossible to shift! I discovered one of the after market shifter forks was binding against the shifter drum! I simply put the fork on a bench grinder and cured the problem.

Don't know where you live but if its close to Houston ship the transmission to MC Creations and I'll take a look at it.

-'lil stan
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thank You for the information..I will have a look at these things over the weekend. I was not aware that the plunger could be adjusted.
Thanks Eric
Little Stan

Post by Little Stan »

Eric:

By looking at the parts manual I realized I made a mistake in calling out a "plunger" - that is for a foot shift or "ratchet top" style top. Hand shifts consist of a spring and a detent ball. Check your adjustment.

-'lil stan
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Wow to bend your shifter takes some doing. I would take the tranny out and pop the top and make sure the drum is not binding. And second, as has been stated, time to look at the forks and manually put it into each gear by moving the forks and gears to see if they are binding. I would also pull the fork shaft and inspect it to make sure it is not bent.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hello
The detent ball plug was screwed in flush with the side of the case. I backed it out about half way and took a test ride and it was a world of difference. I was able to quickly shift into second gear without getting run over by oncoming traffic. Before it took so much effort to shift that by the time I was able to get into second
gear my speed was usually too slow for the gearing. It appears that the sprocket shaft seal is starting to leak so soon I am going to pull the transmission and have a look inside. Thank you again for the help...Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

That's sure a nice-looking bike, Eric!
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Eric and Tom,

I agree..

Nice looking bike.

George
Little Stan

Post by Little Stan »

Eric:

Glad you got it fixed! The older HD's are more forgiving than the newer ones and sometimes something so little can make such a big difference.

That is one good looking motorcycle, I really like the Sargent stripe rear fender.

-'lil stan
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Thank you to all!
Little Stan

Post by Little Stan »

Eric:

If your sprocket shaft seal is really bad you won't have to pull the transmission but you will have to remove the outer primary and entire primary chain, sprockets, clutch and drive sprocket. You can get the seal out by drilling a couple holes in it and with a claw hammer and some sheet metal screws it should come right out. Install the new one by first greasing the inside of the seal and very carefully and very evenly tap a new one in with a block of wood.

If your seal just drips a little I'd leave it be for the time being but just check the transmission level every time you take it out. I've never had a totally leak proof transmission.

-'lil stan
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Great looking bike. Hope you sort out the problems, but.......... Would someone with some experience with a V-Twin Transmission tell me if I'm just being paranoid? The transmission seems like it was assembled by someone who didn't care enough to adjust it. The seal is already leaking. Maybe the parts were manufactured with the same lack of attention to details. Is there a possibility that there might be a catastrophic failure at speed that could result in damage to the bike and injury to the rider? This could happen with anything mechanical but most of what I ever got from V-Twin was a problem. Heck, the instrument panel gasket, the rubber trim that goes between the dash and the tanks split and cracked in less than a year, probably made from recycled used condoms. Maybe the tranny just needs some TLC, but if it was me I would like some reassurance from someone who has put some mile on one.
Sam
Little Stan

Post by Little Stan »

Scrap:

I've built a lot of 4 speed transmissions in my time for myself and others. Probably about 20 in all. I've only had one failure and fortunately it was on one of my own transmissions and not someone else. It was one I put together over 30 years ago and I did everything perfect except for one thing - I didn't buy a new third gear snap ring! The used snap ring broke and when I down shifted from third to second the bike locked up and skidded to a halt! It broke two teeth off the countershaft which was pristine before the incident. I survived the mishap and thanked God it happened close to home and only my pride was injured.

All in all the old 4 speed tranny's are really tough! They will put up with lots of abuse, water in the oil and neglect. They might leak like a sieve but as long as you keep some oil in one they will work even when totally worn out. A true testament to the toughness of the older HD's.

Just NEVER put one together with a used second gear or third gear snap ring.

-'lil stan
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Little Stan wrote:Scrap:

I've built a lot of 4 speed transmissions in my time for myself and others. Probably about 20 in all. I've only had one failure and fortunately it was on one of my own transmissions and not someone else. It was one I put together over 30 years ago and I did everything perfect except for one thing - I didn't buy a new third gear snap ring! The used snap ring broke and when I down shifted from third to second the bike locked up and skidded to a halt! It broke two teeth off the countershaft which was pristine before the incident. I survived the mishap and thanked God it happened close to home and only my pride was injured.

All in all the old 4 speed tranny's are really tough! They will put up with lots of abuse, water in the oil and neglect. They might leak like a sieve but as long as you keep some oil in one they will work even when totally worn out. A true testament to the toughness of the older HD's.

Just NEVER put one together with a used second gear or third gear snap ring.

-'lil stan
Stan, thanks for the feedback but I think you misread my post. Eric has an aftermarket V-Twin mfg. transmission in his bike, not a genuine HD four speed.
Sam

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”