63 Fl neutral light

Tulls
Bikes: 2001 heritage soft tail Classic
1963 Duo Glide - Panhead
1951 BSA C10
1938 Excelsior

63 Fl neutral light

Post by Tulls »

Hi all, I hope i have put this in the right place.
Well, I finally found what looks to be a nice PanHead. I think it is ok what do you think. It is reported to be a 1963 FL Duo Glide, hand shift with foot clutch. I purchased it and shipped it here to Australia
My question is if possible, it has a hand shift with a foot clutch. I just cannot ride it like that in Australia so, I would like to change it over to hand clutch and foot gear change. I have purchased a Mousetrap, ratchet top for the gearbox but.
My question is, does it have a neutral light anywhere. I cannot seem to find where it should go. Currently I have a 2 light instrument panel. The 3 light panels I see in the net all relate to 3 light being red, blue, red. Surly a neutral light is green??

Tulls from Australia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 63 Fl neutral light

Post by 58flh »

Looks like a nice bike!-Congrats.If I were you I keep the footclutch.But If you want footshift /Use a Mousetrap Eliminater kit!--There cheap Fast to install & set-up.Check your garage you already may have a footshifter?.If not aftermarket ones work fine,& are cheap.Go to a swap meet & you can find everything for real cheap.The Eliminater kit is just a no headache set-up!/no mousetrap to screw with,& a eliminater just works so good!-Hence the name.Good-Luck/once you get her home you will know what the deal really is.I just hope you saw it run or had someone go & look her over!--If not ,don't sweat it-wont be the first & surely not the last!.Stay-Safe----Richie
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

I'm pretty certain the neutral light was blue...not 100% mind you...but pretty certain.

I'd be interested in your old set-up if you want to part with it. I may have a three light set-up in my stash...I'll have to have a look later tonight when I got time.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

As stated, the dash was different for foot shift models with the third light centered between the other two. The socket may be in your base. The position of your ignition switch in your pictures is the parking light position, not off which is center.
I would definitely use the mousetrap and keep it as it originally came. Properly set-up they work great and look right.
Nice bike!
Robbie
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

Rubone, the hand shift models don't have a neutral light? I never thought about it but it must be because the selector top to the transmission (hand shift) has no provision for the switch, and the tank shifter mount has a "N" stamped on it anyway, so they used a 2 light dash in those years. Another aha moment. Thanks, Gary
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

6hds wrote:Rubone, the hand shift models don't have a neutral light? I never thought about it but it must be because the selector top to the transmission (hand shift) has no provision for the switch, and the tank shifter mount has a "N" stamped on it anyway, so they used a 2 light dash in those years. Another aha moment. Thanks, Gary
I believe 65 up have a neutral light on the handshift models.
Tulls
Bikes: 2001 heritage soft tail Classic
1963 Duo Glide - Panhead
1951 BSA C10
1938 Excelsior

Post by Tulls »

Thank you all for your comments. I have the bike here in Australia now after having her shipped from California. She runs beautifully. Yes, I had it checked out before purchasing it.
I will try the mousetrap eliminator and see how I go with it..
Tulls
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Tulls----The good thing with the Eliminater is,You can always put the OEM shift & Clutch controls back on./There isn't any laws in AUSI.,-Why not just keep her as is?---There are quite a few very nice machines in your neck of the globe!.There all Handshift,(Most of them anyway)--Unless its just your prefererance!.However you run it ,She will kick-ASS!-----Richie
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Why wouln't you just keep the hand shift? Would you just leave the shift gate mounted on the tank? I think the hand shift makes it freakin' cool....

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”