Mini alternator

panman93
Former member

Mini alternator

Post by panman93 »

Has anyone tried or had any experience with the mini alternator that V-twin puts out? Also how many amps does a stock 12 volt generator put out.
Thanks, Alan
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Mini alternator

Post by fourthgear »

No info about the alt. but , I had to test my gen. the other day and from memory ( don't trust it to be exact ,thats why I own several tech. man.) depending on gen. I believe it was min., ten amps for twelve volt and fourteen for six volt , mine was putting out thirteen amps (cycle elec. 12 V) and it is a tricky procedure to test the gen. .The test is done with out the reg. connected. I also found out I did not have any marks as to which is "A" and "F" on my gen. case ,strange ,I had to disassemble the end cap to see how brushes where hooked up to make sure what was what before the test!
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

I think the user 57pan is running one of these maybe send him a message
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

panman93-

Those 'mini-alts' had problems early on, Shafts breaking. But they have improved them & they do good, from what I'm doing & seeing..
Output is 17amp @ 2000rpm. Trip is: the body of it spins like the motor. Put a couple in some locals bikes, yrs ago & & they are still working good. & those bikes get ridden hard..
Nice light unit, & good output..
panman93
Former member

Post by panman93 »

Thanks for your replies. I've never had a problem with the gen, I just need more juice with the changes this year.
Alan
texasbobber
Bikes: 1951 FL Panhead

Post by texasbobber »

Billy, is a mini-alternator fairly easy to install? Which would you say be more reliable, mini-alt. or generator?
TxRR
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

texasbobber-

(sorry for late reply) :-[
But I prefer Alt's..& easy install..
Either, in good working order will do the job.
If your machine is very correct, the mini will look ODD..
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I run a mini alternator on my pan. I have not had any problems with it. It comes with a solid state regulator/rectifier. Connect two wires from the alternator to the rectifier then one wire form the rectifier to the battery and that's it. This setup is lighter, more compact and simpler than a generator, but, of course, it does not look original and it is pricey.

Return to “Generator”