Tank shift linkage

Paysonpan
Bikes: 63 FLH
55 FL
honda 90

Tank shift linkage

Post by Paysonpan »

Fellow Pan Lovers
Long time lurker first time poster here. I have been collecting parts and rebuilding them since 92 for my 55Fl. Down to the little bits now. One small part is proving difficult to identify and locate. I am using a tank shift on the bike.OEM Tank and shift gate along with shift lever. As per my 49 to 57 spare parts I have
part # 33857-51 which is the rod, threaded on both ends, that goes from shift lever to trans.Also have # 33870-51 which goes on the end of rod that attaches to shift lever. What I need and can not find a part number for is the end piece that threads on to the rod which attaches to shifter lever coming out of trans. My spare parts book does not even show this part nor did the Harley part catalog at my local indie. Strange. I assume the part I need is very similar to the foot shift end however all of my foot shit linkages have the end cast in to the rod. All advice much appreciated. I am itching to finally start this old girl and ride!!
bedwyr
Bikes: Panhead.

Re: Tank shift linkage

Post by bedwyr »

Hi Paysonpan, I use the same part # 33870-51 on both ends of my threaded hand shift rod. It fits and works perfectly.
Paysonpan
55 FL
honda 90

Post by Paysonpan »

Thank you for the prompt reply. I had considered this option as I have a few more of those ends but felt there might be a different part that I was not aware of.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

I have been looking for that part number myself and no luck. I know the ends are different because I have an OEM one that's probably damn near as old as me...or maybe a bit older...I'll be 60 next year.

If you find a number, let me know please....and vice versa.
Paysonpan
55 FL
honda 90

Post by Paysonpan »

cd
What does your part look like? Does resemble the foot shift end ? I have looked a many photos on the net but the area is always cover by inner primary.
This is not a correct resto by any means. Just a mutt Pan but I would like to know what this part looks like.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

Paysonpan wrote:cd
What does your part look like? Does resemble the foot shift end ? I have looked a many photos on the net but the area is always cover by inner primary.
This is not a correct resto by any means. Just a mutt Pan but I would like to know what this part looks like.
Yes it does. I'll see if I can post a pic within the next couple of days.
Another_Mug
Bikes: 1947 WL

Post by Another_Mug »

Hope this helps..52
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

In '51 and later the shifter arm on the transmission was changed to having a threaded hole in it instead of a plain hole. The shifter rod has a fitting on each end with a shoulder bolt attaching it. Does your arm have a threaded hole? If not it has likely been changed or your top assembly is earlier. It DOES NOT used a forked clevis or a hooked rod ('36-'50 type) connection. The shoulder bolt is 33878-51, the rod end is the same on both ends. It is identifiable by the long flat surface milled on the side to allow it to clear the shift arm through its whole range of movement. If you look at the handshifter images in the later parts book in the Knowledge Base the photos are corrected and show a rod end on either end of the shifter linkage and calls for 2 pieces.
Paysonpan
55 FL
honda 90

Post by Paysonpan »

Thanks Mug for the photo and Rubone for the clear description. My arm has the threaded hole . I had to check that as it had been 5 years since i rebuilt the trans. If i would have looked and seen the threads I should have realized a forked clevis would not be appropriate. I do have rod ends with the long flat surface. Should have a shoulder bolt in my stash with correct threads. Thank you for clearing this up for me.!!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”