Shift pattern

woodie47

Shift pattern

Post by woodie47 »

I have a 49 with a jocket shift. How does the shift pattern work? It seems like all the forward is 1st, back1click is neutral another click seems to be another gear then another neutral then 2 more gears. Is this correct? It seems awful loose and I'm wo ???rried about it dropping into gear while idling
kell

Re: Shift pattern

Post by kell »

Does your transmission have a hand shift top or a ratchet top? The ratchet top looks like a stainless steel hockey puck.
woodie47

Post by woodie47 »

Being from Caa. I'm not real up on hockey pucks but I'm pretty sure it's a hand shift top. A shaft sticks out the left side that the shifter is mounted on.
kell

Post by kell »

Well if it's the original transmission it's hand shift. There's a detent in the shifter drum between first and second where it will click into neutral and stay there. But you can shift into neutral between any gears, like if you are riding in third you can push the shifter toward second but not far enough to actually engage second and there is a region between the two gears where you are disengaged -- for all practical purposes in neutral, although the shifter doesn't lock into position there the way it locks into the regular neutral between first and second. So a hand shift can feel pretty messy in comparison with a ratchet top if you are not used to it. You just have to get the feel for where the gears are.
To recap, the way you described your tranny is how it should be; first is all the way forward, one click back is neutral, another click is second, then you have a false neutral between second and third beford it clicks into third, same thing before it clicks into fourth. Normally when you are sitting at a light you have it at the neutral between first and second. You don't use the other "neutrals"... unless you need to pop it out of gear while moving for some reason.
woodie47

Post by woodie47 »

I have had the bike for a couple of years now but have been working on it and haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I just wanted to have some idea where to look for the gears and was puzzled by all the neutrals. Thanks

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”